Spare Engine disassembly

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Spare Engine disassembly

Post by CoolAirVw »

Quite awile ago I found a 86 golf in the local Pic-a-Part yard. I pulled everything I could out of it and they sold the stuff to me for $250.00. 1.6 na diesel engine, trans, radiator, altenator, starter, mounts, vac pump, injection pump ect.

I had always assumed the car was in the junkyard due to broken up valves because when I got there the cam pulley was gone and I just assumed it came off while driving or someone took it off checking for slipped belt/crashed valves. I bought a cam pulley for 10 bucks off ebay just incase.

Well in preperation for doing my head gasket and fixing some engine oil leaks on my car I decided to pull the head on the spare motor for practice.

Head sure does come off easy on engine stand. Looked pretty good since I was expecting crashed valves! :D

Cylinders look good too and rods were tight :D (no pic of rods)

Looks like I got the cracks. Crack Kills! (but maybe not in this case :D )

So I'm starting to think I got a good deal. Especially since I've used the alternator and starter allready.

But wait! What is this in the oil pickup tube! :(

I cleaned out a bunch of crap out of there. Man look at all that crap! :?

Turns out its just silicone, so hopefully I'm still in the good! :D THis motor would make a nice little Veggie Gen/Set out back of the house.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

In my <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6550&highlight=" target="_blank">Engine Pull Thread</a> I mentioned that my spare head from this thread was unusable. When I saw this I didn't bother looking any further.

Here's why. Little loose guide. Cam is barely pushing valve up.

Note: usually valve deflection is measured from the other side with the spring removed but this has the spring on.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Maybe since I have both this non turbo motor and my turbo motor apart at the same time I should do a thread making comparisons of all the parts.

Anyone think that would be worth doing?
Richard
85 Jetta TD

JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

that engine was surly run on high sulfur, mine was much cleaner! My head is also cracked much worse than that- 50,000 miles into it with no trouble... i just dont start it up when its below 20f just in case :wink:

I have always watned to turbo my engine, but lack of oil squirters and such have kept me natural
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG