1.9TD AAZ - Hot start problems

Moderator: Fatmobile

slobbo
Glow Plug

1.9TD AAZ - Hot start problems

Post by slobbo »

I currently have a problem where the van won't start when it's hot and when its hot performs badly. By badly I mean it doesn't seem to have the power it should.

When it's cold no problems but after a run it won't start.

After a run of abouut 50 miles this W/E one of the lads asked if the van was running ok. I said no crap it won't start when it's hot. He said that it sounded like the engine wasn't getting enough fuel and that the timing was advanced (I think). He said the fuel was being injected too late. We popped the engine cover off and turned it over. Wouldn't start, so we loosened one of the injector pipes and turn the motor over for a couple of seconds to see if any fuel was coming through. It wasn't so we then tested the solenoid that shuts off the fuel (I think) at the back of the fuel pump. This was working so we bypassed the fuel filter and tried again. It started. Great I thought a new fuel filter should sort things. Put the new filter on and preceded to reset the timing. It took ages and didn't seem to want to set and stay set. Eventually we got it to the way it should be. Idling nicely with a puff of black smoke when the pedals pushed before settling down. When I went to pull away their was no power so we increased the fuel a bit and everything seemed great. It was starting no problems even with the temperature sitting at about a quarter on the dial. Great I thought, finally sorted.

Driving back home I noticed that the power delivery seemed to tail off after a few miles. I stopped at McPukes to get some food for the boys and when I pulled up found the engine idled far to quickly and once I stopped the van it wouldn't start again.

I haven't been impressed with the performance of the engine since I got it and even after it had come back from being sorted always seemed to fall back to poor performance again.

What could this be. I am beginning to think the fuel pump is at fault. Any other ideas?

- The fuel lines are all about a year old.
- The compression on the engine is very good (difficult to turn even with a socket)
- Doesn't seem to be an air leak - no bubbles in the fuel line

This is driving me insane and costing me a fortune - helllllp
Regards

Rob Campbell
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

no air in the fuel lines? Return too? Your sure right?

Others on this forum are better qualified to comment on this forum........

Have you checked the injectors?

What is the history of that engine?

You could check the amount of vacuum in the intake fuel line to see what the value is.

If your really ambitious have the pump checked while your doing a leak down test!
slobbo
Glow Plug

Post by slobbo »

The engine had a workshop rebuild last year (4000 miles ago). The injectors were new then. I am going to put it back into the workshop to get it sorted (hopefully). I am wondering if it is the pump because it doesn't seem to perform consistently. It's costing me a fortune because I don't have the time or the experience to fix it myself and the workshop is an hour away. Last time I picked it up they couldn't get it to fail. I drove it home and it failed straight away.

I'll get them to check for air leaks then.

Thanks for the advise
Regards

Rob Campbell
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

It's not so hard to check for air bubbles eh?

Just change the hoses for clear fuel resistant hoses. Start the engine, rev it a bit and watch for bubbles in both the intake line from the filter and from the out bolt on the back of the pump (where the small hoses from the injectors connect to.) Bubbles in the in line are usually a leak around the fuel filter or a blocked fuel line further toward the tank. Air from the out bolt is (I think) from a bad seal at the in bolt or at the pressure regulator valve.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Stopping has some good advice here.

Andrew