4 speed to 5 speed swap?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

T-BONE
Glow Plug

4 speed to 5 speed swap?

Post by T-BONE »

81' caddy 1.6 being rebuilt I have a 5 speed tranny is it worth it to swap it in place of the 4 speed. also what is involved in the swap
Turd pile Junkie
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

I feel the 5-speed gives more choice of gears, since the overall gearing range is the typically the same between the 4- and 5-speeds. Since the diesels have a lower high end RPM, it is nice to have that extra gear in there when needed. I have an FN transaxle and that works well on my '82:
- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/VW_020_t ... sion.shtml

You need to swap out the transaxle, I think one of the mounts and the 5-speed shift linkage:
- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ ... troduction
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Yes I love my FF 5spd. I don't think I could have picked better gearing if I custom made a transmission (unless it was a 6spd ;) ). Anecdotal evidence suggests that you don't improve MPG much with a 5spd vs 4spd, but I think it's worth it anyway to make your engine rev less.

I believe you will need to swap out some of the shift linkage parts, in particular the two plastic-ended selector rods and the selector lever. The Bentley shows the difference between shift linkage parts on pg 7 of the transmission section.

For the O2O transmissions, remember to fill fluid to the fill hole, then add another .5qt through the speedo hole. Otherwise you will be running 5th dry!
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
rwest1
Cetane Booster

Post by rwest1 »

I have done this on one of my 81 caddy's, my memory is that it is a basic R&R, mounts should bolt to new tranny(check bolt patterns). Selector lever,rear selector rod,front selector rod needed from donor 5-spd car. That said if you have a good 5-spd available, and truck is apart, it is a nice thing to have. My town truck that I haul with & pull small boat with is 4-speed. Turbo caddy has 5-spd and can use it. I'm too old & tall to drive a caddy on long trips (seat angle kills back) so I'm not huge fan of swap. Also, ck tranny you have PO may have put in car tranny which has different ratio's. Regards
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

When you fill a 5-speed you don't always fill the last .5L through the speedo? I read it depends on what year of five speed it is. The old ones I think you add the "extra oil"in the speedo hole.
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Applies to all 020 4-speeds made prior to 1987:
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ ... html#FAQ20

I always fill by volume and not just by the level in the fill hole. I will fill until I see oil come out the fill hole (just so I know I am putting it in the right place). Then I put in the fill plug and top off the gear box with the remainder of the 2 liters (2 qts. + 3-4 ounces) of oil.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

A1-2-A3 wrote:When you fill a 5-speed you don't always fill the last .5L through the speedo? I read it depends on what year of five speed it is. The old ones I think you add the "extra oil"in the speedo hole.
Yes, the extra .5qt applies to all Mk1 and Mk2 5-spds prior to 1988.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)