1980 Rabbit Diesel Died flat out while driving

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

79rabbit
Cetane Booster

1980 Rabbit Diesel Died flat out while driving

Post by 79rabbit »

have a 1980 Rabbit Diesel , it has run and driven great averaging 48 MPG with a 5 speed tranny. This tank of gas I filled up with B99 (99% pure) biodiesel for the first time , from a local gas station here in Tacoma , Wa. I drove it about 250 miles on that tank and just a minute after starting it up after work , i pulled out into THE STREET AND IT DIED !! it would restart but only run for a burst , like it was not getting fuel - i pulled the hose going to the first injector , it is pumping fuel out when i crank , I filled up half a coke can after cranking for a few minutes off and on. I ran to the store and replaced the fuel filter and got some starting fluid (diesel safe) no luck , it still is acting the same after priming the pump and trying to start it. im at a loss , did the fuel pump suffer a catastrophic failure? or is there another possibilty? The timing belt and idler were both replaced about 2000 miles ago , as was the fuel filter and air filter. Could it be the fuel solenoid on the pump , its getting 12 volts , but I dont hear it click when i turn on the key. Now it wont even fire off at all , the starting fluid just makes it knock real bad.

ANY ideas would be appreciated!!!!
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Stopped

Post by Fatmobile »

Clear fuel lines?
Air in the line between the filter and pump?
Glad to hear you changed your timing belt and the wasn't the reason for the sudden stop.
I'm guessing the in-tank screen got clogged when the biodiesel cleaned your tank.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
79rabbit
Cetane Booster

strsiner is MIA - Need more info on Stop Solenoid on pump

Post by 79rabbit »

I pulled the fuel level sending unit out , and looked in the tank , the strainer is not even insatalled , and there is crud along the bottom of the black spider looking housing where the fuel intake and return lines go - looks like the strainer is supposed to snap/drop in there if it were present. The engine still fires for a just a second then dies , pumping the pedal has little effect - is the stop solenoid supposed to "click" when i turn the key? it is not clicking if that is the case (gets 12 volts though). could it be stuck in the shutoff position? if it were to fail is the result that the car wont run? ive got the factory 1980 rabbit repair manual and it has no info on this solenoid , thanks for the help -
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Hot up the fuel shutoff solenoid by running a wire from the battery and listen under the hood, you should hear it click. If not then it is bad. If it fails car will not run or even fire. Usually the fuel filter will plug with bio. Crack your injector lines and turn the car over, you should have fuel going everywhere, if not then its not getting fuel.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

stopped

Post by Fatmobile »

Clear fuel lines?
Air in the line between the filter and pump?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

From what you have said, I think it's your stop solenoid. You wrote that you pulled the hose to the first injector and still had fuel flowing, so I'm assuming you are referring to the flexible return lines attached to the sides of the injectors not the metal fuel injection lines that carry fuel for combustion. If the stop solenoid is not opening, the steel injection lines will not be getting fuel and the engine won't start, but the return lines will still have fuel running through them. Seems like your pump is getting fuel just fine, but the solenoid isn't opening; it always makes a clicking noise when it gets 12v. You can take it out and remove the valve parts of it, then put it back and see if the engine starts. Just be prepared to stop the engine some other way, (pop the clutch in 3rd gear or something,) because turning the key off won't kill it.
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
79rabbit
Cetane Booster

Solved!!! Runs great (Now if I could just shut it down)

Post by 79rabbit »

thanks for everything , you guys are the best - took out the stop solenoid and removed the plunger , now it runs great , wierd how the thing just failed like that , you'd think that it would have a feature to keep it from stranding you , like a spring to failsafe it to the open position - anyway - thaks for everything!!!!
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Fail safe would be car not running. This part rarely fails, so your good. Also its easy to check and test, unlike most electical parts on newer gasoline engines that require sometimes black magic and a exorcist. Thats why us guys are into these old oil burners.