BYpass relay installation

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Dave
Glow Plug

BYpass relay installation

Post by Dave »

I'm looking for a diagram to install a soleniod bypass relay in my vanagon. Also, any recommendations where to connect the ground?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

If you actually bypass the solenoid, your starter drive will not engage in the flywheel. I imagine that you are talking about a "hot start relay", as the starter solenoid is also what engages the drive gear on the vanagon.

A hot start relay is a very good idea and will save your ignition system and allow your van to start even with a marginal starter or marginal wiring connections. The Hot from the battery to the starter gets a short fat jumper to one of the high power connections on the relay. The other high power connection on the relay goes to where the smaller red wire from the ignition plugs onto the starter with the spade connection (again use a short fat wire). The ignition wire that you just removed from the starter becomes the sense wire on the hot start relay and the ground (if it's not internal) would IMO most easily be whatever bolt you use to mount the hot start relay.

It always seems funny to me to add a relay to run a relay, but it really works quite well and the starter solenoid does require a fair amount of current. The long run in the van, coupled with semi-flakey solenoid and ignition wiring can make for the click, click, click, click, vroom syndrome. The relay cures it once and for all. Hope that helps.

Andrew
Dave
Glow Plug

Post by Dave »

Libbybapa,

Thanks for your help. It's starting just fine now. You right, I actually had it wired so nothing would happen (by passing the soleniod). Then I wired as per your instructions as a hot start relay.

Dave
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Glad it worked out.

Andrew