Problems removing starter

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

sparksdc
Cetane Booster

Problems removing starter

Post by sparksdc »

Hi all,

My starter started heating up and smoking a bit when cranking, so I'm trying to replace it. Got the upper bolt loose just fine and the lower one turned a few times, then just kept turning. Bolt will turn, hit a spot it almost grabs, then spin freely-repeat. End result is I can't take the starter off.

Is there some trick to removing these I don't know about? I tried using a flat screwdriver to apply some "pull" to it while turning and got that momentary "grab", but that was it, still no farther along.

bolt won't bite going in either.

Any suggestions are welcome as always.
"To the man with only a hammer in his toolbox, everything looks like a nail."

'83 Rabbit 1.6L-It's alive!
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Cut the head off and remove the starter. Then use vise grips on the bolt and heilicoil the threads for the starter.
Oh and remember to smile and say I love being a mechanic, thats what I always do in that situation.
Try your best before you go thru with cutting the head off.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Not a major problem. The starter bolt threads into the front motor mount bracket. Once you get the bolt out (grinding off the bolt head should take care of it, Harbor Freight sells a cheap $20 angle grinder), another bolt and bracket from Jack or a local junkyard and you'll be good to go. Just undo the two big 17mm (or is it 19mm?) bolts under the radiator, and the assembly should slide over and out even with the stripped bolt still attached.

Don't forget to change the little brass starter bushing in the transmission bellhousing when replacing the starter. It keeps the new starter from eating itself up inside.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

starter removal and installing

Post by hagar »

Relax ------aple pie job -- BOLT is part og the motormount --just lift a bit on oilpan-----problem solved.

hagar

Is there some trick to removing these I don't know about? I tried using a flat screwdriver to apply some "pull" to it while turning and got that momentary "grab", but that was it, still no farther along.

bolt won't bite going in either.
sparksdc
Cetane Booster

Post by sparksdc »

Thanks all, starter is off! :D

Car has a dent in the oil pan like it ran over something along with a pushed in radiator support. Took a little jiggle and wiggle but it came loose.

Will remove and replace bushing, but any recommendation for sealing compound the Bentley recommends?

tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

The only starter sealing I see in the Bentley is for rebuilding a starter? What exactly are we sealing?

It wouldn't hurt to use a little blue (medium) Loc-Tite to the starter bolts, I had mine rattle loose once and my starter almost fell off! :shock:
sparksdc
Cetane Booster

Post by sparksdc »

It says to use on the flange, don't see anything on the one I took off though.

tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Huh, never noticed that until now. I've never sealed any starter flanges... maybe I should start!
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Given how open the rest of a typical Bosch starter is (there's a disassembly thread somewhere) not sure a bit of sealant on the flange makes much difference... although it might keep water directly out of the bell housing.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs