after many months of running diesel back running a blend.

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

floydr
Cetane Booster

after many months of running diesel back running a blend.

Post by floydr »

After I had to drain my tank in november of last year because i put too much vegetable oil in mix and losing prime on the ip. I have been running blends of about 25-30% vegetable oil. Today I added 5 gallons of vegetable oil to tank tank was half full.
So I am now at about 60-70% vegetable oil.
I am running a single tank.
the oil settles for 2 weeks , then I put it through my dewatering (frybrid) still and filter set up. the filter is a 1 micron fuel filter made for small diesel fuel tank/pump installations.
Later floyd
1981 VWDasher Diesel
WVO conversion sept 27,2006
Single tank conversion
12v injector line heaters, coolant fuel filter heater, and 12v fuel line heater
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

Tried 90-95% blend Tuesday ran fine Tuesday, then Wednesday it wouldn't start till the evening, added 2.5 gallons of diesel to tank. Guess it didn't get mixed up enough wouldn't start this morning, Got it started after work. I waited 5 minutes while my fuel line heater and injector line heaters heated up then it started. don't know if that was what enabled it to start?
well I will try in the morning
later Floyd
1981 VWDasher Diesel
Single tank conversion
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Post by jkeiffer_gearhead »

I know that when I was running my two tank system and I forgot to switch back over to diesel even in the summer that it always was a chore to get my car started if it say for an hour with 100% WVO in the tank

my engines were used and I really didnt do it much in my rebuilt engine since I had to transfer the system over to the new car, so part of the hot starts could have suffered from the older engines but i would find it hard to believe since on diesel everything always started fine.

Single tank systems are great for simplicity but when the engine is cold they will take their toll eventuall with large pumping loads on the IP and potential coking in the engine and in pre-combustion chambers the air flow will start choking the engine on that little air passage from the cylinder to the pre-chamber

so try just running a no greater than 20% blend and if you get higher then add kerosine to get the viscosity of the fuel down a little
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

I think I found part of the problem my fuel line heater had become disconnected. The air temp and having a good charge in the battery, or a good jump start does the trick. The warmer it is the easier it starts. Well I fixed the bad connection and I am now at about 70% vegetable oil which it started on for the past 2 weeks. I am charging the battery
this morning it was around 50 f I didn't take to much time as i had to go to work. this afternoon about 80f I was able to get it started with only the injector line heaters working.
I know I am going against most recomendations on how to operate on vegetable oil.
later floyd
1981 VWDasher Diesel
Single tank conversion
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

above you see the heated fuel filter I made with a old vw oil cooler , an inline heater 100 watts, and the injector line heaters 80 watts. I Just installed it this evening took it for a spin around the block about 2 miles, without the inline heater going it was up to 125 f. No leaks that i could see. I do have a small air leak.
later floyd
1981 VWDasher Diesel
Single tank conversion
dave300d
Glow Plug

Post by dave300d »

I have 300sd that I run on RUG and WVO. I bought a 1985 jetta Ran it on diesel and bio for about 3000 miles. It ran great on bio,poured in 5 gal of wvo and could not get it to start the next morning. Tonight I drained the tank and put diesel back in. I could not figue out way it would not start.So I guess I lost the prime to the injector pump. How do you guys get the VW to run on WVO.
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

I heat the fuel with electricaly with injector line heaters, an electric fuel line heater, and a coolant heat exchanger fuel filter, I also have an electric fuel tank heater which i have to hook up again. I also run a blend of diesel and wvo.
I too lost prime when I tried to run 100% wvo and had to drain my tank.this was back during the winter I should be ok now that it is late spring/summer. I was at about 70% wvo this morning I filled the tank with wvo 5 gallons so I should be about 85% wvo.

The first thing is to get the wvo thin enough to flow through the lines I do this with blending,and heat.
good glowplugs
good battery

I have a valve which I can switch the coolant flow away from heated fuel filter if need be.
Later floyd
1981 VWDasher Diesel
Single tank conversion
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

My system is very exspermental most people go with a two tank system with vws
Later floyd
1981 VWDasher Diesel
Single tank conversion
dave300d
Glow Plug

Post by dave300d »

Would putting a electric 12 volt fuel pump before the filter help so you would not loose the prime to the pump?
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

Perhaps but the heating of the oil also allows it to start on vegetable oil.
I am going against most experts with my single tank system. if I had a long commute I might have gone with a two tank system. This is kinda a pieced to gather system. took an idea from here and there and made it work.
Later Floyd
1981 VWDasher Diesel
Single tank conversion
dave300d
Glow Plug

Post by dave300d »

Put the 12 volt pump in tonight will see if it helps
hybwid wabbit
Glow Plug

how to addapt the oil cooler to fuel filter housing?

Post by hybwid wabbit »

I noticed the picture in the thread. How did you manage to sandwich the oil cooler between the filter housing and the fuel filter? :? The threaded nipple that normally sandwiches the oil cooler between the oil filter housing and the oil filter is way to large to fit the fuel filter and housing.
Sorry to break the flow of the current conversation, but I have been puzzling over this for a few weeks now, and got exited when I saw the pic.
'83 Vanagon wvo/diesel hybrid
'81 Rabbit wvo/diesel hybrid
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

went here http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... oe%3DUTF-8
ordered the adapter from monopoel . It was simple once I got the adapter and followed the directions on the page I just gave you.
hope this helps
later Floyd
1981 VWDasher Diesel
Single tank conversion
hybwid wabbit
Glow Plug

filter heater

Post by hybwid wabbit »

Thanks for the info regarding website. I checked it out, and decided to try to manufacture a similar adapter myself, or use a stock vw oil filter housing instead of the fuel filter housing.
'83 Vanagon wvo/diesel hybrid
'81 Rabbit wvo/diesel hybrid