My "new" Jetta TD

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

My "new" Jetta TD

Post by Fatmobile »

Bill and I just went down and grabbed our TD VWs.
His is a quantum and mine is a Jetta.
I got mine running today,... feeding it fuel from a power service bottle, through a Rabbit filter.

At first it was just one cylinder firing and no fuel being pulled from the bottle,... I had primed it by sucking on the return line until fuel was pulled through the filter and pump.
Then another cylinder joins in and some smoke shows up,... I've got it floored the whole time.
Another cylinder smooths things out some more and things start to speed up.... finally all 4 are firing and it's getting smokey as the engine is almost running,... but not quite.
This took several cycles.
When it finally started running the neighbors cheered :lol: .
It was going about 2000 RPM and the accelerator had no effect. Huge dark black cloud behind the car, it was nearly windless so it just hung there.
I backed out the max fuel screw to see if that would help lower the RPM,... I also backed out the idle stop screw.
That helped clear up the black smoke but it started overeving as soon as I started it.
I'm going to pull the top off the pump and see what's going on inside.
At least I got it running. Baby steps.
I bought this for an engine core, that it actually runs and didn't die a catastrophic failure is a good thing.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

Thats how I felt when I first started that rabbit that sat with the head off of it in the field for like 7 years. congrats! it would be a good story if you begin to drive this vehicle and it lasts you 30 years.
1980 two door dasher
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 diesel work truck
1968 red Baja Bug-stolen 4-12-2010
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

It's kinda cool how a diesel that "runs" on one or two cylinders keeps on going, then another cyl joins in and so on.
My dad had a Peugeot 505 idi and at one point when we were out in the woods 2 of the glowplugs died and the third was really bad also. It was in the fall, about 0 degr C, but finally after a lot of cranking it started to sputter, running on 2, and clouds of grey smoke spread around the forest as the 3rd cyl got in the game and eventually even the fouth :roll:
brings back memories :D :D
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

I have had 4cylinder gas engines do that as well in the winter. You had to run the starter the whole time while the engine went 1, 2, 3, 4 and then it still took about three or four minutes till you could let off the gas pedal. Too bad we could not plug in at school, teachers only the sign said on the electrical posts. I coulda walked 1/2 way home before it was running but my face woulda frooze from the wind.
coke

Post by coke »

Fatmobile, post pictures of this ride and its engine.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

coke wrote:Fatmobile, post pictures of this ride and its engine.

Stop snactching up all the turbo cars! (so I can snatch them!)
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Turbo cars? I have never seen a 1.6TD in real life ever! I think they must be fiction. Have seen lots of TDIs and 1.6NA and thats it.
All the extra power will get you into trouble. Better pinch a couple injector lines. I will stick to my 52hp of doom!
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Jetta TD

Post by Fatmobile »

Here's the car.
it's in rough shape and the engine is destined for a swap into something,... like a Rabbit or another A2 Golf.... it'll probably require a rebuild first
The engine looks ratty.

I should have taken a picture with the rabbit fuel filter and power service bottle full of fuel hanging from the hood.
The clear tubing hanging down made it look like IVs, I found myself wishing I had a stethescope and maybe a doctors coat.
Battery charger cables bringing it back to life.
Yellin' "CLEAR", before turning the key.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Looks like you have a lot of loose end with that baby. I've been stringing my blue baby together for a year now. I was telling the princess about how well she was running lately when bamo. A juice can let go that was holding the exhaust pipe together. Oh well at lest the axle didn't let go.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/