eco diesel vs power?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

VWGTD
Glow Plug

Post by VWGTD »

How can one tell if the car is Ecopower or normal... like my car is a 1.6 TD engine code MF. but i dont know if it is ecopower or not.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I believe the Eco is 1V code. ME is the non turbo. All the MF's that I have have mechanical valves and K12 turbo. If you have a single oil drain in the center on your head it will be mechanical head. I like this engine the best. The small turbo spools up quick and you get a little bit of kick out of it.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Yup... my MF is the full turbo. Mid-1986 they moved from mechanical to hydraulic valves.

Another thing to check is the top of the injection pump... if there's a dome-like tower device on top of the pump and a hose between the tower and the intake manfold you have the boost enrichment device which is the biggest difference between the eco and the full turbo.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
cornjuggler
Glow Plug

Post by cornjuggler »

Hey MPalm,

I noticed that you can speak Finnish,,, if your willing, theres a short movie about running vehicles on wood that is all in finnish. I know this is a vw forum but its a pretty amazing video for anyone interested in vehicles. Its at:

checkout : http://www.woodgas.fi/

And I guess I just want to know what this guy is saying in a nutshell. and if anyone knows of websites that translate finnish, that woudl be great to know about.

Thanks.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I seen them doing some thing similar in an old Mother Earth New. You might be able to find it in a search in the archives. This system that the Finns are running looks a little more sophisticated than what they had. They were explaining it a bit in Mother Earth. They talked about how wood doesn't burn its the gas from it that burns. So once the fire gets big enough you suck the excess gas in to your engine to run it. I guess you can toast marshmallows when you get where your going. That way you will always be the life of the party.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

cornjuggler wrote:Hey MPalm,

I noticed that you can speak Finnish,,, if your willing, theres a short movie about running vehicles on wood that is all in finnish. I know this is a vw forum but its a pretty amazing video for anyone interested in vehicles. Its at:

checkout : http://www.woodgas.fi/

And I guess I just want to know what this guy is saying in a nutshell. and if anyone knows of websites that translate finnish, that woudl be great to know about.

Thanks.
Well, I read the FAQ (I´m lazy...) and they say that their Jeep does about 50mph when driving on woodgas, but makes half the power. It takes about 5min from when you start up the fire to get enough gas to get going, but one can also start on gasoline and switch to woodgas later.
You don´t need to do any mods to a gas-engine (petrol), just squirt the woodgas in the inletmanifold with a 50/50 gas/air ratio.
To drive a dieselengine with this you need to drop the compression to about 13:1 or combine diesel and woodgas to make it driveable.
They need 100liters (like a bathtub?) worth of wood to drive one hour, full speed.
I didn´t look into the boiler itself, how it works, but I guess I can find out if you want..

About a website that translates eng-fin...nah, I don´t think there is any :? If you manage to register to a finnish forum I´m sure you get answers to your questions.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

wood gas

Post by Fatmobile »

There was a truck that ran on woodgas, at the energy fair about 7 years ago. It was a highschool project car.
Never smelled such nasty exhaust in my life. It smelled like creosote.
Check for english sites dealing with wood gassification.
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I saw a picture of an ecodiesel IP (can't find it now :roll: ) but it didn't look like mine.
My IP has a aluminum plate as a cover for where the LDA bolts to the top. It turnes out this was only used in 92-93. My question is, could it be possible to just unbolt the plate (4bolts) and fit a LDA on it?

The reason I'm wondering is that I got hold of an IP from a Golf GTD but it looks a bit different than mine and I'm not sure if it'll fit on the AAZ?
If it doesn't fit, can I take the LDA off the GTD's IP and put on to mine?
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Here is a picture of my eco-pump.

[img][img]http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/4/9813272036.jpg[/img][/img]
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I found this IP from a GTD:
http://www.dieselperformanceclub.com/DSC00267.JPG

Do you guys thing it's a straightforward bolt on job to fit that into my eco-engine?
How about opening pressures and such, do I need the injectors from a GTD?
The GTD is obviously a 1.6 and mine is a 1.9, does the GTD IP give me the performance or should I search for a IP from a 1.9TD?

Thanx for all the help so far, I hope someone can sort these last q-marks out, i really want some more power :twisted:
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

It's not really a straight bolt on. The "snout is considerably longer on the 1.9 which is compensated for by using a thicker bracket. You would need to use the 1.6 pump mounting bracketry (removal of lots of stuff on the front of the engine). Alternatively you could swap the aneroid top onto the 1.9.

No you don't need other injectors, but you might need to use some trial and error to find a good pump timing setting.

The camplate of the 1.6 has a smaller lift than the 1.9, and so if the entire pump is used you will not get quite the same performance. The aneroid pin from the 1.6 is a distinct IMPROVEMENT over many of the 1.9 pins and so using just the aneroid is desirable.

Andrew
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Thanx Andrew!
I'm not sure I get what you mean by changing "the aneroid top", is that the same as LDA? I know I read a topic of changing the top of an IP, he even did it with the IP still in the car, but now I can't find it :? .
Can I really swap the top and get the boost enrichement device on my eco-pump?
Do I still have an aneroid pin in my pump, although it doesn't have the enrichement thingy?

Great info on the differences between 1,6 vs 1,9 too, I think I'll just keep on looking for a proper 1.9TD pump if the top swapping doesn't do the trick.

I guess all these questions have been asked over and over, sorry for that, it's just that I don't get it :roll:
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I'm still stuck with my eco-pump, new full-turbo IP's are too expensive for me right now, and I can't get hold of any good used ones :(
Anyway, I have turned up the max fuel screw and it smokes "a bit" when I give full throttle but nearly nothing when driving normally. I can turn it up some more, but then I can't get back my idle low enough, so I'm happy as it is right now.
At this point I wonder if there's anything to gain if I increase boost pressure? It's at stock psi right now.
More boost should make it smoke less due to leaner air/fuel ratio, right?

Q2- is there any need for IC with this setup? I might get one anyway, 'cos I'll need it when I change the IP to a full-turbo unit, but does an IC make any difference for the performance right now?
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I bought a pressure regulator for garage pneumatic systems and now i have 1.0 bar instead of 0.7 as before. I have yet to fine tune the fueling but already I have dropped the 80-120kph sprint in fifth gear with over 3 seconds :twisted: And that's compared to stock boost but disconnected EGR and upped fueling. I wonder how slow it was fully stock :roll:
It's still on the slow side with 11.2sec but it has the original ECO IP, stock airfilter, stock downpipe and piping and no intercooler. Not bad.

Does anyone know how fast a stock full turbo Passat 1.9 is 80-120kph? That's 50-75mph.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km