Engine light at high temp

Moderator: Fatmobile

stopping
Diesel Freak

Engine light at high temp

Post by stopping »

Hello folks....

I have been getting this engine light flashing (the light in the temperature gauge) at times when the engine is working hard(highway).... when ever it flashes I slow down... so it got me down to 80km/hr with the heat on in the van.

History...
I have replaced the head recently and had the pump out to replace seals.
I believe the cam is well timed the pump is close.
I have some oil in the coolant that could be explained by remnants from the head change.
The engine does not seem to have the diesel pinging as much as I am used to no matter how advanced the pump.

Could it be injectors?
Could it be radiator?
Could it be the new head is cracked or could it be, in fact, that the block is cracked?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Day one, get the van right up to normal operating temperature. With it still hot, but shut down, remove the grill from the headlights and loosen the small bleeder screw on the radiator. Either coolant will immediately flow from the radiator, or air will hiss out. If a lot of air hisses out before coolant flows, then replace the bleeder, warm the van back up and park it so the bleeder is uphill and open it up again. With all of the air out of the radiator, see if it still overheats.

Day two, when the engine is cold, remove the expansion tank cap and then replace it. Start the engine and run it for 30 seconds. Then shut the engine down and quickly remove the expansion tank cap and listen for any pressurization. Then start the engine again and look for bubbles that come up from the bottom of the expansion tank.

Sorry to say if the tank pressurizes and there are bubbles, you headgasket is bad or your head is cracked.

If there are no bubbles or pressurization in the expansion tank, then you can focus on the cooling system. Radiator, waterpump and thermostat are the only real players other than hoses. All could be culprits, but a plugged radiator would be most likely IMO.

Andrew
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

addendum....

There is no pressure and no bubbles in the expn. tank.... none! Not even when hot (weird).

I put a new Thermostat in so it could be the new one! But yes I will check for rad and hoses. Thank you.

Andrew: When do we get a new video? That's the stuff of greatness!
coke

Post by coke »

Totally unrelated but I was 99% sure I had a blown head gasket so I tore the engine down and replaced it, and the timing belt, tensioner, and the 3 common oil seals + the green o-ring for the int shaft carrier.

I was dismayed after I started it and found out that I still had pressurization in the cooling system and tons of bubbles.

It was the radiator. For some reason it was not circulating and caused pressure and air to buildup in the cooling system.
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

Yes thanks folks.... There was lots of air in the radiator I guess the thermo wasn't hot enough when I filled it the first time. I really hope no damage was done.

It was a new thermostat but I didn't test it... maybe it took some time to open....this seems to have taken a week!

I think what I can learn form this is that filling the system is much easier with another person.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Get yourself one of these and coolant bleeding will be EASY solo!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... ing+stress

Andrew
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

You have no shortage of great inventions!

Plus the clear hose indicates a slightly delayed water level in the ABS tube..... very good!
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

:D