TB broke, intermediate shaft hard to turn...

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Ah, I think the key to the puzzle is that the tranny side bearing is on the t-belt side of the vacuum pump opening so you have access to both sides. I thought it was in a blind hole on the transmission side right up against the end of the block.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

i-shaft

Post by Fatmobile »

I've been using my i-shaft tool to drive the inner bearing into place... while driving the old one out. Since the end of the shaft is centered in the outer bearing hole, it goes in very straight.
The outer bearing, nearest the timing belt has been giving me problems. If it doesn't go in absolutely straight it can bind a little. The I-shaft doesn't seem to turn as easily once installed, after this happens.
Sometimes I use the I-shaft seal holder to press it in, by tightening the bolts and tapping on it,... but that can get crooked too.
So I like your (Andrew's) tool for pulling that outer bearing into it's bore. Seems like it would go in nice and straight.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think liquid nitrogen, co2 or the freezer might work as well.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
dchardy
Cetane Booster

Post by dchardy »

So, where is VW Tool xxxx when we need it ? That would explain this procedure's conspicuous absence from Bentley - "no tool, so we can't write a procedure." Good thing for this forum.
=============
'96 Passat B4 Wagon TDI
'81 Caddy Diesel
'86 Westy Gasser
'86 Syncro Vanagon Gasser
'86 Jetta NA Diesel
'82 Quantum TD Wagon (parts)
Homer T. Coyote
Cetane Booster

Post by Homer T. Coyote »

Ahhh, the old threaded rod through the journal trick. I do like the idea of a "press fit" rather than hammering it home. I'm gonna have me one of them tools. I am working on a tool to expand the exhaust clips. I'll post it if it turns out well.
85 Jetta 1.6 TD
(2) 81 Caddy gassers
dchardy
Cetane Booster

int. shaft update

Post by dchardy »

After pulling the engine, I got the intermediate shaft out, and the shaft had a concentric crack around the flange on the timing belt end - and a light tap with a wrench busted the flange right off. So I guess I need a new shaft - at least now I have the makings for a tool to get the new bearings in ;-) The outside bearing is certainly shot, as well.
=============
'96 Passat B4 Wagon TDI
'81 Caddy Diesel
'86 Westy Gasser
'86 Jetta NA Diesel
dchardy
Cetane Booster

Post by dchardy »

So I finally got around to tackling the int. shaft bearing replacement. First attempt ended badly when I tried to use the damaged shaft as a tool to put the new inside bearing in - the way in which it cracked didn't leave a flat enough lip to drive the new bearing in, and I ended up dinging it up pretty bad. So after getting a new set of bearings, I decided to try and fabricate a tool out of 7/16'' all-thread, washers, nuts, and electrical tape. And it worked like a charm. It cost all of maybe $10. Essentially, I used the all-thread and a few standard-size washers (amaziningly enough, they were perfectly sized) to pull the new bearing in while pulling the old out. I used electrical tape (quite a lot) wrapped around the all-thread to hold the bearing on the shaft. And I actually used the shaft end cap, flipped over,with another washer in it as a guide to keep the all-thread centered in the journal. The hardest part was getting the oil hole lined up.

I can try and post pics if anyone is interested.

-David
=============
'96 Passat B4 Wagon TDI
'81 Caddy Diesel
'86 Westy Gasser
'86 Jetta NA Diesel
dchardy
Cetane Booster

intermediate shaft tightness

Post by dchardy »

Can anyone tell me how tight the int. shaft pulley should be (i.e., hard to turn) with a new set of bearings ? It doesn't spin freely, but it's pretty easy to turn by hand. I'm wondering if this is OK before I start putting it back together. Thanks.

David
=============
'96 Passat B4 Wagon TDI
'81 Caddy Diesel
'86 Westy Gasser
'86 Jetta NA Diesel