Replacing rabbit fuel lines for biodiesel

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

joshuare
Cetane Booster

Replacing rabbit fuel lines for biodiesel

Post by joshuare »

I have an 81 diesel rabbit, hoping to get it outfitted for biodiesel. I've heard a lot of different things, so I was wondering what types of hose are acceptable. I know viton, but is there anything less expensive.

also, if anyone happens to know what sizes and lengths a rabbit hatchback takes off the top of their heads, that would definately save me the trouble of measuring them.

thanks!
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

you can purchase fuel injection hose at autozone, they have spools of it behind the counter, do not buy the prepackaged stuff. You will only need a few feet, I think it is all 1/4 or 5/16, but I am not really sure off the tiop of my head.you will need to replace two short pieces where the metal lines go to the tank, and wehre the metal line goes to the filter, and from the fliter to the IP. Then you will also need to replace from the return on the IP to the metal line. Just for some info, it is better to have it a tight fit, then loose, and make sure you buy some good fuel injection clamps, the kind that does not tear into the hose. If you look on ebay you can buy everything there. I personally do not replace any lines until they start to sweat, and unless your stock lines are in bad shape, they should hold up for a while.
1980 two door dasher
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 diesel work truck
1968 red Baja Bug-stolen 4-12-2010
BlueDog
Turbo Charger

hose for biodiesel

Post by BlueDog »

I'm converting my '89 Jetta gasser to a diesel. Both the donor '86 Golf & the Jetta have the same fuel line arrangement - rubber hoses from the tank and then mated to long plastic fuel lines that run the length of the car on up to the engine compartment; not metal lines. The feed line is black and the return line is blue translucent appearance. If I replace the neoprene rubber hoses with Viton are these plastic lines suitable for extended use with biodiesel?
Ed
TeamSpatula
Diesel Freak

Post by TeamSpatula »

Am I ok running B20 in my 81 rabbit without changing over any hoses? Will I need to do that too? I'm just now running my first tank of B20...ironically enough, bought from Exxon...
:roll:
.../----------------\... http://www.TeamSpatula.com
../___________\..
./[ ]===\X/===[ ]\. 1962 VW Crew Cab
|\____________/| 1972 Jeep C104
|_\__________/_| 1981 Rabbit Diesel
BlueDog
Turbo Charger

Post by BlueDog »

It's my understanding that only the neoprene hoses require replacement. On my '89 Jetta these were found at each end of the run, in the engine compartment and at the tank. The long run from front to back on mine is some kind of hard plastic. I don't know what's on a Rabbit, metal?
'89 Jetta 2-dr gasser converted to 1.6L NA
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Platinium
'87 F350 dually 7.3 future project
'79 Mainship Perkins T6.354