the computer disconnects the turbo because of over pressure

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

dardar
Glow Plug

the computer disconnects the turbo because of over pressure

Post by dardar »

hello you all
its nice to have a place to ask things like that :)

I replaced a broken shafted turbo with a new part, and with the new one the computer disconnects the turbo because of "over pressure" - only when i push hard on the gas.

what can it be ?

thanks
ron
coke

Post by coke »

Maybe waste gate pressure.. Im assuming it wasn't building boost as well with the old shaft, and now that it is, the computer doesn't know how to react to that.. Im not sure, but I think the 1.9L TDI has an adustable waste gate. You might want to decrease the pressure at which it opens.
dardar
Glow Plug

Post by dardar »

tnx for the answer mate

how can I do that ?
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Watch the video at the end. That is how your actuator rod should move. If its stuck then do the work in the thread.

If your car has VNT turbo then click here.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php? ... ostcount=1
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
dardar
Glow Plug

Post by dardar »

thank you very much !

I did exactly what's I did, before seeing your insructions.

the problem is that it is a brand new turbo (installed for about two months), and it was already clogged with carbon.

now I need to figure out why does the engine throw out so much carbon...

thanks again !

ron
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

TDI's do not have a wastegate. They have a VNT, which is a variable pitch turbo that eliminates the wastegate.
wooddashman.com
Glow Plug

How do I get the Turbo out of the car?

Post by wooddashman.com »

By the way, my turbo in the 98 jetta that I have does not look the same as in the earlier posted thread. Will that make a difference? Please some suggestions on taking the turbocarger out of the vehicle.
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

My prior statement isn't totally accurate. A4 TDIs have the VNT, but I believe A3s have a wastegate. You'll probably be able to get more specific help on tdiclub.com
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

dardar wrote:..... and it was already clogged with carbon. now I need to figure out why does the engine throw out so much carbon...
Oil fumes not only clog up the manifold but also the VNT.

Add a CCV filter. Might help.
Eliminate EGR. This might be the best fix. (is that even legal?? If not adjust the EGR percentage in VAG COM.)

Make sure turbo doesn't have movement in shaft causing excess oil loss.

Make sure motor isn't worn out causing burning oil.

Driving at low rpms will tend to clogg manifolds and freeze VNT vanes sooner so dont drive it like grandma. Ya got to "Drive it like ya stole it" sometimes to "blow the cobwebs" out of it.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

If it has a VNT, it doesn't have a wastegate. If it has a wastegate, it doesn't have a VNT.

Have you plugged in a computer to for error codes?