I truly need a Turbo

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

GoWestyYoungMan
Glow Plug

I truly need a Turbo

Post by GoWestyYoungMan »

My 1986 1.6TD engine may be history unless I find a turbo of some kind.
My local diesel Turbo shop said my TA030 / TA0304 Garrett turbo was discontinued and there were no more cartridges or rebuild kits available.
Turbo numbers are 465384-0005 or 068145703F
I thought it was a common enough T3 turbo but I guess the housing was specific to audi -and VW in 1986.
Does anyone have an idea where I could buy a new cartridge or rebuild kit or even a new turbo to replace this one.
I'm not too anxious to buy a used one as I just blew over $500.xx on two used e-Bay turbos that the sellers swore were running. They were both shot.

Thanks!
Reply if possible to <<detter>>

B.T.W. The engine is currently in my 1982 diesel Westy.
"We Are Stardust"
1982 TD Westy the 3rd
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Forum protocol dictates a call to Jack...the owner of this board and a guy well known for his ability to get just about everything !!

If he can't help you out IM me... I'm pretty sure this is the same turbo I just procured and I have a hunch I know where a rebuild kit might be.

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

What leads you to believe the turbos are shot? Even brand-spanking new (I've gotten several) the turbo will have considerable shaft play due to the full floating bearings. In fact the only turbos I've seen that didn't have noticeable side to side shaft play were coked up with carbon and were in fact "shot". If shaft play is how you are determining that your turbos are worn out you may be replacing good parts without necessity. If however, the wheels are rubbing the housings or there is significant in-out play to the shaft then they are in fact worn out. Rebuild kits are very reasonably priced and a good option if you have mechanical skills.

Andrew
GoWestyYoungMan
Glow Plug

I truly Need a Turbo

Post by GoWestyYoungMan »

When I bought the turbos, the first one was slow to turn using the fingers and I thought that adding some oil might loosen it up and it did to some extent. Then the second one was to be a back-up, but when I received it, it was even easier to finger turn and I thought it would be a direct bolt-in.
Neither had any side or end play to speak of and not having ever spun a new turbo I had no reference to go by as far as easy to spin.
However, my very experienced mechanic upon trying the same turbos said # 1 was shot but # 2 should be "freshened up" with a new kit.
So I took them both into a shop specializing in Turbo rebuilds and word came back that neither turbo was very good, and parts were unavailable to fix or replace.
I can only take the 'experts' opinion. I know the one in the van is totally seized and is sitable as a boat anchor only.
David
"We Are Stardust"
1982 TD Westy the 3rd