Dead Petrol

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Dead Petrol

Post by Quantum-man »

In my 1970 Bedford CF gasser camper I have between 5 and 10 gallons of 'dead' gassoline. It's been stood for some 2 years. We don't get algae over here but I guess crucial volatile vapours have dissapated. Stopping it from igniting with a spark plug. Rather than waste it can I add some quantity of multigrade oil and stuff it down my Quantum TD? :mrgreen:
Thanks
Mark
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Want the short answer, NO! do not do it!! Use it for solvent maybe or dispose. I would dispose of it..

I once talked to a hillbilly who made his own engine oil from gas and grease and the motor lasted a couple of minutes.
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

I can totally agree w/ the waste not want not attitude, but I wouldn't go near it w/ a 10ft stick. When I turned in 5 gallons of old gasoline that was ~$3.5/gal I got some weird looks, but my gasser's FI system wasn't worth risking for ~$20 of gas.
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

If you want to but some octane boost in the old gas and burn it out and mix in new gasoline if you want to USE the gasoline. I have left cars for a couple of years and had 1/4 tank and started them and drove to the gas station and filled up with fresh gas. It worked ok but was a little powerless and missed here and there. Usually it will ping and detonate with old gas, if bad enough not even start at all.
Last edited by A1-2-A3 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

A1-2-A3 wrote:I once talked to a hillbilly who made his own engine oil from gas and grease and the motor lasted a couple of minutes.

Now that is funny; four words into that sentence and I was expecting to see ..." and he powered his car/truck/house and gyrocopter with it for years"... AND added it to his still to make moonshine :mrgreen:

... girls like em ;o)

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Dead gasoline ---EH ?

Post by hagar »

OK Mark Shepherd UK ( the Gloster kid ) I bite --BUT my answer is still NO NO NO. do not even let your Quantum sniff the stuff.-----as you know I hold Doyt Echelberger in high esteem ---BUT on this one I disagree with him.--I would save it in steel cans and use for parts washing.---by the way in the Gyrocopter I used 145 octane Aircraft Gasoline.----that copter girl sure used a LOT of fuel.

hagar.

PS : and hello from Fraulein Bunny Bondo --she is happy and SMILING by a lot of filling stations.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Hi 'H'
So you still scan the 'FANS' :)

Looks like it's a near even split. For the pro and anti lobby... This always happens to my questions unless it's unanimous against my thoughts...

I'm sure this dead fuel is clean and free of lumps; so what has made it unsafe to use in the TD? Perhaps I could send it to Finland to use as anti gelling compound....

What if I bubbled a can of Easy Start through it? Maybe the old Bedford would drink it then... I would like to know why a blend of rapeseed wouldn't do what cornflour does to custard... The 'Q' loves a little rape now and again; :shock: so what's the harm?

...Our water is back on over here; but now I have 'ferreted away' a dumpster's worth of bottled water. Does anyone have any good recipes for bottled water :mrgreen:

... girls like em ;o)

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Quantum-man wrote:This always happens to my questions unless it's unanimous against my thoughts...
LOL!

Andrew
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

libbybapa wrote:
Quantum-man wrote:This always happens to my questions unless it's unanimous against my thoughts...
LOL!

Andrew
Yea it's about time someone agreed with me... now where's that mirror :wink:

... girls like em ;o)

Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Across the forae it seems to be an even split or slightly in favour of blending. Lot's of different views
It's always worth listening to everyone just in case...

Ok I'm quite happy to find another use for this stuff; but I'd like to find out more of the science and physics of the problem. Assuming no actual soiling of the petroleum; what's the difference between good stuff and bad stuff?
Here's a few thoughts:
Gasoline must work in a gasser by reliance on a kind of fuse or detonator lit by a spark to start the burning that has now evaporated in this old stuff.
I wonder what substance 'X' is? :o
I wonder if a stronger spark would help?
It will definitely burn on a bonfire etc so we're not talkin' flat coke here!.
Has this stuff simply become 'thin' diesel and will actually perform better under 23:1 diesel conditions as an anti gelling compound?
Maybe preheating is the answer?
Higher compression in a gasser?
Do the doubters actually think it won't burn? Can the doubters put their finger on the essence of their doubt?
Definitely too thin for the I/P but why not add wax or veg or oil.
What about a viscosity test to match it with diesel..[or, make it better than the cr*p the Americas seem to be getting these days]
I bet there's lots of it lying around waiting for some clever dick to exploit this stuff...
Regards

... girls like em ;o)

surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I know just enough about gasoline to be dangerous. The stuff thats evaporates easy would probably be the iso. There the double hydrogen bonds. They help with the octane and the volatility for starting. Thats why old gas sometimes will make an engine ping. My guess is 10% mix wouldn't be notice by a 1.6.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/