How does extra virgin olive oil work as WVO?

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tbones
Glow Plug

How does extra virgin olive oil work as WVO?

Post by tbones »

Hi All,

My connection for WVO is olive oil... any problems/ advantages to using this?

The Van's running now, so I'm thinking of throwing in so strained olive oil and see what happens...

any thoughths on a simple way to try this?

thanks, Steve
ran440
Glow Plug

Post by ran440 »

That oil should be as good as any other considering our current temps. The main difference in oils is the temp at which they gel if used to make bio-diesel or solidify if used straight.
Are you using a conversion kit with a second tank and heater? This is the only way I would run straight WVO. Right now I.m into Bio. No conversion required.
Randy
tbones
Glow Plug

Post by tbones »

Hi Randy,

thanks,

I plan to use a second tank eventually, but for now, was wondering if I can just strain the oil and add to the fuel tank with the diesel, in some predetermined proportion.

how much hell is it to make the biodiesel, or are youy just purchasing it from a gas station?
thanks!
ran440
Glow Plug

Post by ran440 »

You can add small amount of WVO to your main tank as long as its not too cold out.
As far as making my own BIO it is a lot of work, but I feel it is worth it. Much better for your vehicle then straight WVO. I make my own and haven't been to a fuel station in 2 1/2 months. :D
BTW I drive about 600 + miles a week.

Randy
Pu241
Cetane Booster

Post by Pu241 »

Been working to get to the point of running off WVO and or Biodiesel for about 10 years.

Olive oil will be fine!
But as it is WVO you need to filter it very well.
Like below what your fuel filter in your vehical does.
Many use sock filter with success for catching crud, but you need to remove the water was well or at least test if there water in it.
I've finally decided myself to go the centrifuge route.
Yes its much more expensive but removes water and crud simultaneously.
Meaning that if I decided that making Bio-diesel was needed I could easily integrate it into the system and use the centrifuge to remove gycerine.

From my point of view I like the idea of mininal chemical handeling!
And the funny thing is I'm a chemist!
Just think with proper heating clean veg oil will work fine!
I prefer the mechanical end of this!
But like the cleaning properties of the bio-diesel.

If you can clean the olive oil well I'd start with a 10% mixture and work your way up, depending on temp for the coming week or your ability to provide heat when you get to 30+% oil.

Just my 2¢ worth, lots of reading and no actual vegy run time, yet!
But I got my Rabbit and about to order the centrifuge!
All problems can be solved with the appropriate application of antimatter!
'81 Rabbit 125K
'88 GMC Step Van P-30 6.2L
Detroit Diesel 2-71 Generator