ULSD and additives

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

91 NA
Cetane Booster

ULSD and additives

Post by 91 NA »

I just lost my last source of non-ULSD fuel.
What will I need to add to the ULSD to keep the seals from shrinking?
I'm typically adding Diesel Kleen Power Service, MMO, and 60 wt oil on each fill up.
I recall reading that the aromatics had been reduced, and were the culprit in the shrinking / leaking seals.
Would any of these help, or should I be adding small amounts or regular gasoline (or somesuch) to sweeten it up?
Thanks in advance.
Mark
91 NA
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

I've been running Stanadyne Performance Formula with good results. It was supposedly reformulated for the new low and ulta low sulphur diesel fuel. I mix the ~3 oz. of Stanadyne with enough 2-stroke motor oil to make a pint and add that to a tank full of diesel.

Could always try some of this stuff!

Last edited by VWCaddy on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Post by idhoho »

Look at Hagars rantings on this topic. Paraffin, aviation oil, and perhaps other oddities from his past are all good to read about and nothing but fascinating. In a recent article shared here by somebody important it was stated that IP's that have gotten hot in the past are more likely to leak with the ULSD. Personally I use what you use with the exception of 2-cycle oil instead of the 60wt. An occasional dollop of Marvel Mystery Oil can't hurt anything either.
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

I run diesel in my car.. If the pump leaks, throw in a set of gaskets and such its going to leak someday soon if they are orignals. I personally think most add ins to the tank will do more harm then good. everyone has there snake oils they swear by. Each to his own.
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

I add 16oz of cheap wal-mart bar and chain 30w to each fillup, in the winter I add the correct ammount of anti gel and call it good. I also just found a large ammount of OLD 5,000PPM fuel hideing in my friends 1942 TD-14A dozer's tank, I removed the rust and water from the fuel via a home water filter and filled up my VW, wow did it KNOCK and I was also shocked at the smell, long lost memories brought back :)
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

A1-2-A3 wrote:I run diesel in my car.. If the pump leaks, throw in a set of gaskets and such its going to leak someday soon if they are orignals.
Agreed. I used additives before my seals went. It did help slow the leaks but eventually my pump was just overwhelmed :(

The best thing you can do is get it resealed.

Matt
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

I don't think I would mix in gasoline. I recall reading somewhere that as little as 3% gasoline allows for the gas/diesel mixture to ignite at room temperature.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I've added a small amount of gas years ago. I don't like to do it, but according to the VW manual in my glovebox, it says you can add up to (if I remember correctly) 2 gallons of fuel to a tank. That's a 20% concentration, which I think is excessive, but then again I don't live in Siberia and need the car to run when it's -40F
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Pu241
Cetane Booster

Post by Pu241 »

82vdub wrote:I've added a small amount of gas years ago. I don't like to do it, but according to the VW manual in my glovebox, it says you can add up to (if I remember correctly) 2 gallons of fuel to a tank. That's a 20% concentration, which I think is excessive, but then again I don't live in Siberia and need the car to run when it's -40F
I agree, my GM 6.2L diesel manual says its ok to run upto 30% gasoline if needed. :shock:

Maybe diesels are more flexible about their flue than we thought.
Can you imagine adding 10% diesel to a gasoline engine, let alone 20% or 30%?
All problems can be solved with the appropriate application of antimatter!
'81 Rabbit 125K
'88 GMC Step Van P-30 6.2L
Detroit Diesel 2-71 Generator
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

i put in 2 gallons of diesel in my 1990 toyota for a $20 bet with friends, just a little blue smoke on shifts is all that I got
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG