changing oil to synthetic

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

changing oil to synthetic

Post by hippiehulahooper »

I have been reading some of the threads on synthetic oil choices. my question is what about changing a 1.6 over to synthetic. would it be a bad thing? or a definite go?
90 Jetta chasis, NA mech. PS, AC.
parts needed:drivers side rain gutter, drivers side rocker panel and rear flare

86 Jetta TD(bottom end needs rebuild)
dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

I change to Syn without a problem. Went from Rotella 15w40 to Rotella Syn 5w40. Leaks oil about the sam as it did before. Some say Syn oil makes an engine leak, but not it my case.
'89 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (521,000 mi) w/ Rabbit Engine (230,000s mi)
'91 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (1500 hrs since I have owned it)
'86 2.1L Gas Vanagon 7 passenger (123,000 mi)

YouTube Videos
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

synthetic "makes" oil leaks

Post by hippiehulahooper »

Some say Syn oil makes an engine leak
that's what I heard from a big rig mechanic.
the only leak I have currently is on the valve cover behind #1 cylinder. (I thought a one piece rubber might help with that and checking the valve cover more thoroughly should help. )
and I was wondering what leaks would happen from the change and why? I assume the synthetic is thinner.
90 Jetta chasis, NA mech. PS, AC.
parts needed:drivers side rain gutter, drivers side rocker panel and rear flare

86 Jetta TD(bottom end needs rebuild)
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

So crankcase pressure goes up with synthetic oil? Or are you talking about blowby on the snot hose?(big rigger) I can not see it making any differance for oil leaks myself.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I think it's a crapshoot whether your gaskets will leak or not. I've heard peopel switching and no problems, and I've heard people switch then go back because of the oil slick the car leaves.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Wolfsbur
Glow Plug

Re: synthetic "makes" oil leaks

Post by Wolfsbur »

hippiehulahooper wrote:
Some say Syn oil makes an engine leak
I assume the synthetic is thinner.
A syn at 10 30 should have the same thickness (viscosity) as a dino at 10 30, both at the same temps--right? Otherwise, why have viscosity numbers.

From years ago (late 70ies) when Syns became more available, the leaks issue was blamed on seals not designed for the different chemistry of the syn, thus they would 'shrink' and allow oil to go by. And, the detergent qualities of the syn is superior to that of the dino oil, cleaning away accumlated muck that may have been helping an otherwise bad seal hold back the oil.

I'm a big believer in full syn and extended drain intervals--just about the first thing I do to a car after getting it (no matter the miles--and assuming it isn't burning oil at a rate worse than 1 quart per 1K miles) is switch over to Syn.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

To sin or not to sin.

Post by hagar »

In Kentucky ? ---- from hagar it is a definite NO ---extended interval in a VW diesel that old ? --NEVER -----------send me by mail a Blotter test and I shall tell you WHY .

Yes I love synthetic lubes I use a lot.

hagar.