Off to Pismo!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

VanagonExpress

Off to Pismo!

Post by VanagonExpress »

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Wow! Does that trailer have an engine in it?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

where are the bikes for that rack to fit that active lifestyle of yours? i envy you. we have been having great weather for camping but no time right now to do it. don't know how much that Scamp weighs but my guess is 1200#. we have a pop-up but i wouldn't pull w/ the rabbit. would take forever to stop.
Carlos Galvos wrote: The steering wheel(81VWRabbit L) is pleasant to grip, and the instrumentation is cleanly and logically laid out in a manner one would expect from a fine European car.(posted on EBAY)
82 Rabbit Diesel, 2" lift, "45 mpg average"
VanagonExpress

Post by VanagonExpress »

Actually closer to 1500 loaded...

the bunny truck does a good job hauling that Scamp around, 4th gear at 60 the engine is about 85%

Never had a problem but trying to stay out of the way of the fancy dan SUV's sucking gas at 9 mpg at best....
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

And thats a non-turbo 1.6? What kinda mpg do you get with that load, I bet 33-35.
VanagonExpress

Post by VanagonExpress »

28 pulling the trailer in the moutains, I have the smoke screw turned up pretty high...

flats it runs in 5th at usually in the mid 30's

non turbo, just tweeked the pump--timing full advance, external oil cooler with a fan, 2" exhaust pipes from the downpipe back, large metal radiator with temp guages on the head, the water outlet with a switch to kick the fan on and the pedal to the metal

I have a complete turbo head with all the goodies I took from a 86 Jetta, but have never taken the time to have a block built with the correct pistons. Probably would not smoke as much as the NA---

I have a picture of it coming up out of Reno into Truckee fully loaded with tire chains...black smoke pouring out like a Santa Fe train.....it was pumping the BTU's that day

Might scan it and post it.

Been towing this Scamp since 1993 with this Caddy. I looked at a 5th wheel Scamp once at an auction, but the weight was up towards 1900 dry. I have kicked the idea around of a new Casita

My Scamp is not like my brothers tri axle Airstream but----it gets attention

I have lost count the times we have been up to Yosemite at the base of the falls and down to Big Sir...

Always bring a generator and a heater. That Scamp is COLD in the winter

One of my diesel Vanagon's towed it down the coast once to Hurst Castle for one of the kids weekends. Struggled back up Carmel hill in 2nd since the Vanagon has a wide ratio box in it. If VW had put in a 6 speed.....
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I had a boler witch I believe is from the same mold as the scamp. I've heard that the Canadian company that made the bolers when broke and an America company bought the molds. They made scamps and casitas (or something like that). I was reading a RV West new letter and they mentioned that some business man from Calgary Alberta had bought the molds. Go figure. I pulled mine with 77 rabbit gas engine without to much problem. I though the dry weight was 850lbs. I got the wife to drive the car for about 10 miles with me riding in the trailer so I could see what it rode like. It was about 95 out so I pulled a beer out of the frig and set it on the table. The first bump we hit I was wearing that beer. It turned into foam. It also felt like someone had kicked me in the backside. These things really don't have springs just a torsion bars with rubber blocks ouch.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

the bunny truck does a good job hauling that Scamp around
Well, people laughed at me (like usual) when I had a trailer hitch installed on my Rabbit with a 4 speed. I hauled an empty old Ryder tow dolly about 100 miles up to the upper penninsula of Mich to give me a clue how it would haul it around thinking I'd haul more with the car. I don't know what my dolly weighed, but I'm guessing 500 something pounds. That trip told me that 500 lbs was about the limit on a load to haul. On flat surfaces, it would take a loooooooong time to get up to 60 MPH. God only knows how bad it would have been if there would have been a 15 MPH wind and a little "bump" for a hill to climb. Never hauled anything else with it - except for moving my 2000 lb empty car trailer 10 feet in the backyard. Yep, that was the first and last time for that stunt too.

I'm assuming that the Cabby weight a few hundred pounds less than a 4 door Rabbit, and maybe that's the difference.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
VanagonExpress

Post by VanagonExpress »

Scamp and Casita were once one company or---a family member broke away after some tiff

Uhaul rented and then sold a Burro model, which you will see floating around once in a while....

Burro might have been the company that also built a do it yourself trailer.

I bought the Scamp from a local RV dealership on a whim. The price was right and it was more of a joke at first---but after using it several times, I fell in love with it's quirkiness-

More often than not I have had big dollar motor homes parked next to me come over and check out my low rent operation. Pismo is just one haunt, I love taking the truck and Scamp out on the beach, up in the deep sand and park facing West...

California is a wealth of camping sites from Santa Barbara El Cap all the way up to mid Oregon. The truck and I have hit all the spots.

The Scamp is a bit skimpy on insulation, and is cold in the mornings and hot in the afternoons. A tiny 5000 btu Ac keeps it cool, and a forced air heater warms up my old bones. I swipped a once cylinder aux power unit off of a used Walmart truck which draws fuel from my truck for power when needed.

I just wished the truck had better and heavier braks
Krank
Diesel Freak

Post by Krank »

I haven't seen a Scamp since my parents brought one home in the '70s!

I have a hitch on the back of my rabbit as well, and one of those cheap fold up trailers to go with it. You never know when you might need to haul something, and I couldn't see owning a truck just for that.

The most I've hauled so far has been a barrel of methanol over Sylvan hill. If you're not from around here, it's a fair sized little hill between Portland and Beaverton, and I would venture to say most little NA's would have trouble staying up to speed. Mine will normally scoot up around 50 MPH, but it would do better with a 5 speed instead of a 4. With the barrel of methanol, I had to slow down to 45 for a stretch, but still maintained 50 for the bulk of it. I was laughing the whole way at what it must look like!

My hitch is a class I, and it's rated for 1000#. I think my car could actually do it. On a flat road, you really couldn't tell much difference between having the trailer with the barrel and not having it. Yes, you did notice, but not that much. Getting up to speed wasn't that much different, either... but that's the difference between a two toed sloth and a slug. I'm NOT a speed demon!
'81 Rabbit N/A
'82 Audi 4000 Diesel (a vw in luxery clothing!)
chrischris
Diesel Freak

Post by chrischris »

Great picture! Please post more.
VanagonExpress

Post by VanagonExpress »

methanol over Sylvan hill.

Scamp, me, the kid and the Chihuahua midget, went to Sunnyside, Washington one summer...

Ran the AC the whole way, Ashland Pass was 3rd gear up and 4th down...
Dalles was a couple of 3rd gear'rs but mainly on the Washington side---

met up with some real old school hippies from Southern Cal in a 66 Westie, we truck along together for a day or two....

Safety in numbers...