1st day with the diesel

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

scottmartin49
Cetane Booster

1st day with the diesel

Post by scottmartin49 »

It's love.
Certainly preaching to the choir here, but I wish I'd bought one in '85 instead of the Turbo Colt.

(Reverie) Ahhh, imagine; different car, different girl/wife, different career choices....

THIS ONE reminds me of all my favorite tractors, travelling around in the Freightliner with Dad, and endless hours on the schoolbus just dreamin' away....

My daughter grins at me and and says I'm a hippie, my neighbors are appalled and all I think is that I just got a great deal on a 50 mpg vehicle.

oh well.

Scott
VanagonExpress

Post by VanagonExpress »

I own a slew of them...including several Vanagon diesels, which to keep my past from haunting me.... W-04 stickers are on the back windows

they do tend to grow on you
and love the miles...
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: 1st day with the diesel

Post by CoolAirVw »

scottmartin49 wrote:It's love.........

....... my neighbors are appalled and all I think is that I just got a great deal on a 50 mpg vehicle.
My neighbors are appalled and my co-workers think I'm crazy but I think I'm smart for driving a 42mpg vehicle.

Welcome to the club!
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
VanagonExpress

Post by VanagonExpress »

You think your neighbors are appalled???

I live on the 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach. (And have lived here since I bought this dump in 1972 right out of high school)

Rolls, Bentleys, Vipers and MB 600's is the main riiiiiiide.

Scooting around in a VW Vanagon diesel gets stares....but then again, who cares! :lol:
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Love at first drive.--EH.?

Post by hagar »

tell us more ? EH ----this is a Lovers forum , I defy any red hot Yankee DIY not to fall in LOVE with these little Marvels.

hagar.

PS : 50 MPG is easy.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: 1st day with the diesel

Post by CoolAirVw »

scottmartin49 wrote:... but I wish I'd bought one in '85 instead of the Turbo Colt.

(Reverie) Ahhh, imagine; different car, different girl/wife, different career choices....
Just imagine....

If I'd have got a rabbit diesel when I was 16 instead and kept it and not poured money into the various cars I bought and fixed all those years and not poured money into their fuel tanks all those years.

Just think how much I would have saved! I'd be a millionaire by now.

Since I now know and understand this I'm gonna do things different my next 20 years. Maybe then I'll be a millionaire.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
mattbondy
Diesel Freak

Post by mattbondy »

Really? The way things have been going I keep finding a money absorbing chasm where my car should be...

I dont mind working on it when I have the time and everything has been cheap so far. There are not many other cars with online communities like this. Relatively no electronics, Bosch diesel management literature published on google books, beautiful. Wish I just had more time to devote.
1986 NA diesel Jetta
- future societies will mine for precious oil beneath my parking spot
VanagonExpress

Post by VanagonExpress »

I said that once....if I had more time....

kick ahead 39 years. I now have the time. but eye site and naps seem to take prescient

Today was a cruize up Highway 49 through the Gold County of Placer down to Yosemite NP to the cabin in Fish Camp.

In a gas (sacrilege) powered Cabriolet....