1998 VW TDI Beetle cuts off

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

Gapeach
Glow Plug

1998 VW TDI Beetle cuts off

Post by Gapeach »

Just recently purchased a 98 VW TDI Beetle with 140,000 miles. I absolutely love it. However, it will sometimes just cut off while driving down the road. There is no rhyme or reason to why it stops. Example: Driving down the highway at 60 mph with the cruise set (about 7 miles from home) and it just starts to loose power and cuts off (oil light flashes and beeps and battery light comes on). I pulled off the side of the road, waited about 2 minutes, cranked her back up and went back home to get the other vehicle. Then it will run for several days and it not happen again. Other times, I go for about 2 or 3 miles and it will happen. Hubby replaced the solenoid switch (which was bad) on the fuel injector on Tuesday and then yesterday it started it again. The check engine light will come on for a few days and then cut back off. He has a computer to check the codes and it is P1403 - Manfactured Controlled Auxillary Emission Controls. Took it to the VW dealership, prior to hubby replacing the switch, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it (claims to have run it on their computer/system) and wasn't familiar with the P-code.

Anyone have any ideas?
busguy71
Cetane Booster

Post by busguy71 »

mine would not start one night, then I waited 5 hours and it started. The dealer said it was the relay for the power supply to the ECU that was failing intermitently. They fixed it, runs good now. mines a 2000
1971 VW bus camper
1965 VW beetle undergoing a chop top
2000 yamaha roadstar
1984 Rabbit 2-door diesel
...want to build a VW diesel auto motorcycle

I may be slow but I'm ahead of you!
Gapeach
Glow Plug

Post by Gapeach »

Thanks! I let hubby know and we'll give it a try.
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

Relay 109.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

MayorDJQ wrote:Relay 109.
I'll 2nd that.

Part number 357 906 381A

Easy to change 20 dollar part.

Richard

That part number is for a 91 passant. Probably the same on your car too.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Gapeach
Glow Plug

Post by Gapeach »

Thanks ya'll. That is exactly what it was and it hasn't happened since. It has been throwing another CEL code, but I don't remember what it was. I'll have to ask hubby. It has something to do with the glow plugs.

Thanks again!