Pulling Head, What to do with the inside timing belt cover?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Pulling Head, What to do with the inside timing belt cover?

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

I have an oil leak (about 1 qt every 300 miles) and I have traced it to the front of the head gasket. I also have a water leak by piston 4, but it is not as bad. Either way, my time with this head gasket is limited. I have searched and searched this forum about how to do head gaskets, so I think it is pretty straight forward, other than one thing, what do I do with the timing belt cover between the Cam pulley and the head? I see that there are a couple of bolts that I can take the cover off, but it looks like the cover extends all the way below the pump and around the cam pulley. It looks like I will have to take the cam pulley off and the tensioner pulley. I am not quite sure, but it looks like I have to take the pump off, along with the pump bracket in order to get the timing belt cover completely off so that I can pull the head straight off.

Here is a picture of the cover I am talking about outlined in yellow, and two bolts that I can see in red.

Thanks.
'89 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (521,000 mi) w/ Rabbit Engine (230,000s mi)
'91 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (1500 hrs since I have owned it)
'86 2.1L Gas Vanagon 7 passenger (123,000 mi)

YouTube Videos
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You have to take the tensioner pulley off along with the cam pulley. You will also need to remove the two small allen head bolts that attach the tabs of the timing belt cover to the sides of the head. You do not need to remove any other bolts to the cover (IIRC) and you definitely do not need to remove the pump or any pump brackets.

Andrew
coke

Post by coke »

If you're careful you can do it without removing the metal portion of the timing belt cover. Be very careful if you venture this route, as my father inadvertently bent mine which caused it to rub on the new t-belt tensioner pulley I bought and I had to remove the t-belt, and tensioner, straighten it out and replace the tensioner with new parts. It really helps if you can get another person to help you maneuver the head to get it off and back on.
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

Slightly off topic...

It would appear he of the "Dancing Man"
is having an identity crisis.

Anything we can do to help?
Blue 1986 Golf N/A Bought it in '94. Never been on the road since.
Green 1991 Jetta TD. Bought it 6 months ago.
Hasn't been on the road since.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

The avatar with money fluttering down is the most confusing... perhaps he won the Arizona State Lottery ???!!! How many diesels could you buy with that ??!!!
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

So to recap, remove cam pulley, tensioner, two allens from the cover attching it to the head and then be carefull not to bend the cover. That does not sound to bad then.

I will have to look up the which head bolts the CR engine takes, I know they are allen heads on the bolts.

libbybapa - Is your new Avatar of you singing? I did not know you did Opera. lol.
'89 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (521,000 mi) w/ Rabbit Engine (230,000s mi)
'91 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (1500 hrs since I have owned it)
'86 2.1L Gas Vanagon 7 passenger (123,000 mi)

YouTube Videos
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

No need for assistance, all just me being silly. :D

As a side note, I have been in a gazillion Gilbert and Sullivans, but never in that attire...

Andrew
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That bracket does go around behind the injection pump bracket and it won't come off without removing the bracket... and like Coke says it is easy to bend.
Not so easy to rebend so it doesn't rub on anything.

You might be able to pull the head easier if you remove the cam seperately. That's what sticks through it and keeps the head from being lifted directly up.
I haven't had to mess with too many of these, mostly playing with Rabbits.
On the Golf I removed the pump bracket.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Funny, my 82 Rabbit doesn't have the back piece of the timing belt cover. It also has 4 bolts holding it on and no clips. If I remember, my 86 Jetta has the clips holding the timing cover on, and was much nicer to take off.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

My 81 engine did not have that bracket that goes up that high, that one you show looks as though it would suck.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I think it's a better overall design - quicker access to the timing belt without much tools, and keeps things out of the timing belt area from the back side of the engine. My 82 can get rocks, bolts, nuts, etc down into the timing belt area. So far though, no problems and 1/3 million miles.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
mattbondy
Diesel Freak

Post by mattbondy »

If only it kept bolts out...
1986 NA diesel Jetta
- future societies will mine for precious oil beneath my parking spot