300 MPG anyone?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

300 MPG anyone?

Post by libbybapa »

lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Hopefully it'll be out in 2010. But even then, it'll probably be a Europe only deal... :(

Big pick.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think oil will have to stay near or above $100 a barrel for this car to have any chance in the market place. The Honda insight failed and it was one of the best mileage gas cars on the road. People are more interested in impressing people with their cars that how many mpg it gets.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

6th picture down... that's gotta be Hagar at the wheel ??!!!
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I read an online article (I think on CNN.com) about 6 months ago that said on a scale of what people thought was important in a new vehicle (AC, cruise control, etc), that fuel economy ranked about in the mid 30's for importance. That number moved to the upper 20's when the price of gas went to $3/gallon. Yep, new car buyers are more concerned with how many cup holders it has and other features on a car than fuel economy.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

Looks a bit like an up-dated, aerodynamic
version of the old Messerschmidt bubble car.
Blue 1986 Golf N/A Bought it in '94. Never been on the road since.
Green 1991 Jetta TD. Bought it 6 months ago.
Hasn't been on the road since.
Harry
Turbo Charger

Post by Harry »

Gee, you'd think maybe our not so Big Three would get to work and build us something similar. Oh. No. That would defy logic. As H.L. Mencken put it; "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Harry wrote:Gee, you'd think maybe our not so Big Three would get to work and build us something similar. Oh. No. That would defy logic. As H.L. Mencken put it; "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
:lol:

No kidding!! Like when the Smart car goes to the states it gets a gasser engine!! How dumb are these people! The whole reason for the car was MPG and they took that out cause the American public is scared of smelly slow diesels! At least here in Canada we got a good taste of what the Smart really was.

You ever look at the big escalades, excursions and quad cabs on the freeways with there dim witted owners taking up my space and breathing my oxygen? They have usually 1 person in them that has more money than brains and does not even know how to handle a vehicle of that killing mass and those idoit cell phone talking no brainers do kill...But they are out to save the enviroment!

I would not trust the big three to build me a sandwich..When it comes to American reliability for electronics they don't even try anymore since the 80's failures they have given up. They leave that to the germans and japanese so it will be done right.
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

I don't really agree with the above.
The "Big Three" got screwed by the
Japanese, in the post war years,
because they couldn't compete with
the cheap labour, the preferential
treatment, they the (Japanese) received
which was intended to help them get
on their feet, but which continued, for
decades, long after the war was over.

That, coupled with the unfair trading
prectices, of the Japanese, (see the
U.S. & European motorcycle industry)
and unionized autoworkers who got fat,
lazy and thought that the world owed them
a living, and that was the final blow
to the erstwhile dominant "Big Three".
Blue 1986 Golf N/A Bought it in '94. Never been on the road since.
Green 1991 Jetta TD. Bought it 6 months ago.
Hasn't been on the road since.
Gearhead
Cetane Booster

Post by Gearhead »

A1,

I resemble that remark. I don't want to be lumped into the "dumb American" category... but who does? I have one of those big crew cab trucks that was purchased and paid for in full when it was necessary for hauling crew and equipment to job sites. It currently has 290k miles and is absolutely trouble free. It's one thing Ford did right, but you can't get this engine anymore. The truck will not be sold because it's paid for, hauls things and people when necessary, and runs on veg oil. It does, however, spend a great deal of time in the driveway since the Rabbit arrived. It has also convinced quite a few people that diesels can be fast and somewhat environmentally responsible when your choice of fuels is properly considered.

As a resident of the USA, I'd love to have the availability of diesel smart cars, but the general public is a bit moronic and near sighted to be interested. People are jumping all over Hybrids, and while they are better than Suburbans, they don't work for me as my driving is almost all highway. Besides, they burn gas. I'd love to have a 300mpg VW, but they wouldn't sell here, because I don't think 26" wheels are going to fit in the wheel wells.
'82 Rabbit 1.6D... for now.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I'd love to have a 300mpg VW, but they wouldn't sell here
And I highly doubt that vehicle would meet or exceed the crash test ratings either. I honestly can't see how the Smart car would either, FWIW.

I have too many to count
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

82vdub wrote:
I'd love to have a 300mpg VW, but they wouldn't sell here
And I highly doubt that vehicle would meet or exceed the crash test ratings either. I honestly can't see how the Smart car would either, FWIW.
Take a look at crash testing video linked below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The idea that small lightweight cars cannot be as safe or safer than heavier cars is not accurate. The fact that car is lighter weight means that it has less inertia to dissipate in a crash. If the energy of the crash is absorbed intelligently in the design (crumple zones) then the lighter weight car can often be safer for the passengers of the vehicle and at the same time cause less damage to the other car(s) and passengers in a multiple car collision.

Andrew
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Exactly. Larger vehicles are a wash safety wise, since they are safer in crashes against smaller vehicles, but more dangerous in solo crashes, so that only thing they really do in terms of overall safety is make the road more dangerous for everyone.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I understand physics and crumple zones, but I guess one's "mind" makes it appear to be too small to pass basic crash tests. But, that's all in the mind.

I have too many to count