What, besides another VW or Audi, will the 1.6L go in to?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Harry
Turbo Charger

What, besides another VW or Audi, will the 1.6L go in to?

Post by Harry »

Like a small car or pickup, not a VW pickup. I want mileage, have no use for off road/diesel combo. I have a very modified Buggy for off road(Engineer's over designed delight). Maybe something like an old Chevy Luv with an adapter plate???
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

suzuki samuri

Post by hippiehulahooper »

suzuki samuri. I don't know if that only comes in the off road 4x4 only or if you could get it in the 4x2. and were those in some volvos?
90 Jetta chasis, NA mech. PS, AC.
parts needed:drivers side rain gutter, drivers side rocker panel and rear flare

86 Jetta TD(bottom end needs rebuild)
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Ya know guys I think the best sure bet would be the dodge omni or the dodge rampage. A friend has a 84 rampage here in the city(more rare with the fake factory side fender/hood scoops, tailgate mint but rear fenders rusted. Some years they even came from the factory with a 1.7L VW engine. SO I would say the 1.6 would damn near be bolt on for those ones.
Actually that means the dodge charger/laser from the early 90's would probably be (almost) bolt in they used the same 2.2 from the omni but with a turbo. You would have to check that one out.
Heck I would put it in anything even a hyundai accent with some mods. Have fun with it! Oh and take pics for us.
jason
Cetane Booster

Post by jason »

I saw a video on youtube where a guy bolted one into a early 90's Plymouth voyager or dodge caravan. I seem to remember modified engine mounts were needed and possibly an adapter plate for the transmission. I have a Plymouth voyager with a 2.5L 4 cyl and the engines look very similar.
1982 Rabbit Diesel (was an automatic with a 1.6 N.A. mechanical now its a manual with a 1.6 N.A. hydraulic)
1998 New Beetle TDI
1988 Ford F250 Diesel
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Ya I really liked that video. His solution to get the CV to work is really original and on the cheap. Just cut both in half and make VW inner and Dodge outter. Then he fines a sleeve to connect the two. He tack welds it and runs it and hits it with a hammer to straiten it. Keep repeating it until it runs true with enough end play. I had a drive shaft made like this at drive line shop. They balanced it as well and it ran prefect. It was many year ago and they charged me $50. I think I would go this route with CV's.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I've been seriously considering installing a 1.6TD into a Suzuki Sidekick. They are relatively inexpensive and can be gotten with 4 doors, 4WD, A/C, power locks, etc, etc, etc... Installation kit is available from Acme Adapters.

Andrew
davchaz
Glow Plug

Post by davchaz »

libbybapa wrote:I've been seriously considering installing a 1.6TD into a Suzuki Sidekick. They are relatively inexpensive and can be gotten with 4 doors, 4WD, A/C, power locks, etc, etc, etc... Installation kit is available from Acme Adapters.

Andrew
They also have kits for the samari, tracker and a toyota pickup...