help w/ unknown squeak from eng (waterpump/ belts/ ip?/ or?)

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

purvisgs
Glow Plug

help w/ unknown squeak from eng (waterpump/ belts/ ip?/ or?)

Post by purvisgs »

1.6td quantum, engine has been sitting for a few months... just replaced ip with "resealed used pump" and replaced tbelt, tensioner pulley, alternator and waterpump belts as well. It started up and ran a little rough/ funny, I thought this was just air in lines. upon test drive, seemed like it lacked power and I started hearing this squeak- so basically I am not sure if this squeak is a result of something I did or an unrelated problem from sitting...

I haven't gotten into it too much yet, but I removed the alternator belt and squeak persists, so it is not this. I didn't know if removing the waterpump belt would be a good idea (even just running for a few seconds in cold weather?) but I do remember the waterpump belt appearing to be very tight when I installed it...

I should describe the sound in a little more detail. It is a fairly loud squeak coming from the engine approximately one squeak per revolution of engine. I have not tried turning it over by hand. I can not determine location easily by listening, "possibly" seems louder above ip area / on top of engine than on belt side of engine...
-tbelt tensioner pulley new/looks ok, also with top tbelt cover off, I don't see tbelt riding funny/ rubbing or anything like that...

a few questions:
-I rotated the engine over by hand after installing tbelt, and no unexpected resistance or sounds that I recall... Could it be one tooth off and still running pretty much ok but underpowered and squeaking/ if it is possible for it to be running while one tooth off, what is likely occurring?

-could this somehow be coming from the ip? even a remote possibility? this ip was described as good used condition , resealed but not rebuilt, but I have no way to verify...

-any way that the waterpump belt or pulley or waterpump its self could be making these sounds? specifically if the (new from parts store) belt seemed to be possibly a bit too tight? no p/s or a/c, these are the only things running on acc. belts...

any thing else I should consider/ check?

Thank you very much for any assistance. I'm stumped on this one and hoping for a little advice.

Thank You!
Greg
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Well, one old trick is to spray some silicone lubricant on the belts and see if the noise goes away. Also the tensioner may look good but can squeak if too tight or is going bad. You should be able to twist the timing belt about 45-90 degrees with firm twisting motion halfway between the pump and cam pulley.

If you are one tooth off retarded usually you will get white smoke and poor performance. You may just have the timing retarded some which you can adjust by loosening all the pump bolts and twisting the top of the pump towards the cylinder head. I usually scribe a line first across the pump and mounting bracket then twist about 1/32 inch at a time, try it out, move more, etc.

My first Rabbit was a 75 Gasser and the tensioner pully went bad and made a terrible screeching sound that sounded like a loose fan belt.

Check all that out, you will probably find the source of the noise wiwth a little trial and error
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

You're on the right track imho... next step is to pull the waterpump belt.... you'll be fine for 30-60 seconds of run time.

In my experience a water pump squeak can sound a lot like a tensioner squeak... process of elimination should help you narrow it down quickly.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

Vincent Waldon wrote:You're on the right track imho... next step is to pull the waterpump belt.... you'll be fine for 30-60 seconds of run time.

In my experience a water pump squeak can sound a lot like a tensioner squeak... process of elimination should help you narrow it down quickly.
also u can take a piece of hose/tubing and use it to listen where the noise is coming from and try to isolate it.
Carlos Galvos wrote: The steering wheel(81VWRabbit L) is pleasant to grip, and the instrumentation is cleanly and logically laid out in a manner one would expect from a fine European car.(posted on EBAY)
82 Rabbit Diesel, 2" lift, "45 mpg average"
purvisgs
Glow Plug

Post by purvisgs »

I installed a new pump and have the dial indicator, so ip timing is set exactly by dial indicator already. my only concern would be being one tooth off..

I already tried silicone spray...

haven't had a chance but I will try pulling waterpump belt/ listening w/ hose tricks. thank you!
82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

purvisgs wrote: my only concern would be being one tooth off..
if the cam/trans/ip marks were in alignment then you should have no concern about timing. if you're not 100% certain about then take it back down and double check. your valves will thank you. hope you find the squeak.
Carlos Galvos wrote: The steering wheel(81VWRabbit L) is pleasant to grip, and the instrumentation is cleanly and logically laid out in a manner one would expect from a fine European car.(posted on EBAY)
82 Rabbit Diesel, 2" lift, "45 mpg average"
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

My vacuum pump squeaked when it had a worn bushing. Probably not what's happening to you though.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Greetings fellow Quantum-person

Does the sound change when coldstart is pulled?
If revs are increased slightly to quieten the injectors a bit that may help to locate it.
Does the sound go away when warm?
Any play in waterpump pulley?
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
purvisgs
Glow Plug

Post by purvisgs »

sound doesn't change w/ coldstart...

sound doesn't go away when warm or any other time

pulled waterpump belt and sound persists.... pulley has no wabble.

tried using hose as stereoscope w/ no results..

everything was lined up when timing tbelt so i don't suspect this,

but still curious what bad valve or valves hitting/ etc could sound like...

thank you!
rebuilder
Cetane Booster

Engine Noise

Post by rebuilder »

I suggest you pay attention to the tensioner pulley. I have experienced squeaks from new parts or if the engine sat without running for a month.
1989 Jetta NA diesel 280,000 miles
1984 Rabbit NA diesel 190,000 miles
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Is it possible that you have the timing belt too tight and it is singing? Maybe it's the tensioner.
I don't think if the noise is a squeak then it can be injectors. They tend to be various forms of "clack clack".
Maybe a dry bearing maybe injection pump bush.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)