5 speed oil level?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

crankpot
Cetane Booster

5 speed oil level?

Post by crankpot »

Hi guys,

My caddy project continues... Now with 2000 miles on the rebuild and brand new injectors, it really runs great. Wonderful smileage, starts with an snap and no more jet fuel smells from leaking injectors.

I just dropped the perfectly good 4 speed and installed a used 5 speed FN trans, praying it will be a good unit. I changed all the seals, and will give it a good flush with ATF.

My Bentley says to fill the oil level in the trans up to the level of the fill port, but I remember reading that the trans needs to be overfilled by adding oil to the speedo hole to insure the 5th gear remains properly lubed.

Anyone help me here with the oil servicing issue for FN trannys?

Thannks!

Bob
1981 Caddy diesel 119K with working r12 A/C!
Freshly rebuilt engine .020 over, rebuilt 4 speed recently converted to a FN 5 speed, new control arm, ball joints, steering rack, engine mounts, clutch, clutch cable,flywheel, all brakes, brake cylinders, wheels, tires, Audiovox cruise control, HID Headlights, LED instrument lights.

Bob Jupiter, FL
VanagonExpress

Post by VanagonExpress »

Use synthetic----

fill from the side hole until it begins to flow out....if you over flow, you risk blowing the seal at the input shaft, and messing up the clutch

(Been there did that....)

You will like the 5 speed, in my Caddy resto, that was just completed, I pulled out a few years ago, the old 5 speed OEM, installed a 83 GTI Westmoreland 5 speed (FF?) loved it...around town that is....highway it sucked---

I put in an AU (?) from a 85 Golf gas. Great gears, with a really long legged 5th gear that almost is an over kill.

At one time I kicked the idea around of a 9A, but nixed that idea when I learned the CV's were 100mm over the 90mm.

Use synthetics in that trans....
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

BrokeVw has some good info for you.

http://www.brokevw.com/020oil.html

I quote his page...
For trans made after Sept 8, 1987 (shown as trans as 08097), then you add fluid to the trans until it runs out of the red circled side 17mm hole. Proper fluid (2.0L) is when the fluid level in the trans is even and level with the bottom of that drain hole.

For trans made before Sept 8, 1987, you do the same as above, adding fluid until it starts to run out of the side 17mm hole, then you plug that hole back up, and add 0.5L more fluid into the trans via the speedo hole in the yellow circle.

That mfg date is when VW moved the red circled hole up on the side of the case by 7mm. The date code will be the last 5 digits after the trans code. It is arranged as day-day-month-month-year, so 08097 is 08 day in 09 month in the 7th year of that decade. If it is a MK3 2.0L car, you know it is 1997, if it is a MK2 trans, it would be 1987, etc..

Proper fill capacity on all the 020 trans, regardless of the manufacture date, is 2.1 US Quarts or 2.0 Liters.
I hate filling with a squeeze bottle so I think it would be easiest to just pull the speedo cable and using a long skinney funnel fill the trans through the speedo using 2.1 quarts. Especially if you have the early one that you have to pull the speedo anyway. But why bother looking up your date, remembering early/late, pulling fill plug ect. Just fill all with 2.1 through speedo hole.
Last edited by CoolAirVw on Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

2.1 US quarts of nice 75w90 via speedo hole will make your shifting wonderful. I used valvoline dyno oil as I change it often since there is no filter.. Good times :lol:
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Yep, overfill (the fill plug level) with 2 liters of oil in total:
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ ... html#FAQ20

I hope to one day have a version of my 020 transaxle oil dip stick available for sale. I have a prototype part and should be able to make thm for around $20.
Last edited by VWCaddy on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
crankpot
Cetane Booster

Post by crankpot »

Thanks!!

Bob
1981 Caddy diesel 119K with working r12 A/C!
Freshly rebuilt engine .020 over, rebuilt 4 speed recently converted to a FN 5 speed, new control arm, ball joints, steering rack, engine mounts, clutch, clutch cable,flywheel, all brakes, brake cylinders, wheels, tires, Audiovox cruise control, HID Headlights, LED instrument lights.

Bob Jupiter, FL
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I always jacked the driver side of the car up 3â€
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

As a bit of added info on the "over-filling" of the 5-speed trans, here's a little fun fact. The engine in the rabbit/golf/jetta is oriented at a 15° angle. The fill hole on the 5-speeds would measure accurately if the cylinders were exactly vertical rather than tipped the 15°. :shock: Apparently the engineer who designed the casting goofed... :oops:

Andrew
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

or maybe VW had the same level of communication the company I work for does :idea:
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I've been filling them to halfway up the speedo gear.
I filled a trany properly once, stuck the speedo gear in and the lube level was half way up the geared area.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Today I filled mine. I'm putting it together following the engine rebuild.

I put exactly 3.1 quarts in through the speedo hole.

When I pulled out the funnel and the expensive sythetic oil was running out the hole I realized it was 2.1 quarts!
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

I have 80w90 in my vw, now that the nights are in the 30's I have noticed poor shifting and grinding into 2nd and 3rd. Its only noticable when I leave work as my home is in a low traffic long gravel road rural area plus i park in a heated garage. I work in the middle of a metro hub and must hang with "todays" metro traffic on a ice cold tranny when I leave work and this 23 year old VW is barly hanging in there.....
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
wbhgrace
Cetane Booster

Post by wbhgrace »

Here's a photo of a dipstick I cobbled together after draining and re-filling my '81 Rabbit's FF 5-speed. With 2 Qt, 4 oz of new oil in the transaxle, the oil level was 1.8 inches below the surface of the trans casting at the speedometer cable hole. This was measured perpendicular to the casting surface at the approximate center of the hole (with the car level).

[/img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/13558423@N02/2170694143/
-Will
'81 Rabbit 1.6D NA
'85 Westfalia Camper, Gasoline:(
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

You should post that in the homemade tools thread.

viewtopic.php?t=771
Richard
85 Jetta TD

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Great info.
1.8"
Next time I have a cutoff wheel in my hand, I'm going to make something,... it won't look as nice as yours but it should work.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.