Swapping a Jetta/Rabit motor into a Quantum

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Just_me
Glow Plug

Swapping a Jetta/Rabit motor into a Quantum

Post by Just_me »

Hi, I got a used 1.6 non-turbo engine probably from Jetta/ Rabbit since it came with a transverse transmission. I like to swap this engine with one in Quantum since its engine is seized. Now, I know Quantum has a longitudinal layout while Jetta/Rabbit is transversal. So do any of you expert know how to do this? Is there anything I need to look for?
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

I take it the Quantum was not a 5 cylinder? If so the TD won't fit in. Different exhaust manifold and turbo position but It may work Golf to Quantum but wouldn't the other way...

I take it you live in the Americas or is it a secret :roll:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Just_me
Glow Plug

Post by Just_me »

Actually Quantums came with 1.6 TD. It's also shared with Audi 80 / 4000 as well since they are same body/chassis. I think 5 cylinders came only with Audi 100 / 5000. And yes, all these have engine faced longitudinally (north - south) probably due to some has Quattro / Syncro drivetrain (not on diesels, of course).
Just_me
Glow Plug

Post by Just_me »

Oh sorry not to add another info.

Yes I live in California.

Quantums only came with 1.6TD. I want to replace it with a 1.6 NA temporarily while I rebuild the 1.6TD engine while I can still drive the car with 1.6NA during rebuild.

I wonder if the intake manifold on the 1.6NA gets in a way if I try to put it into my Quantum.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Quantums only came with 1.6TD. I want to replace it with a 1.6 NA temporarily while I rebuild the 1.6TD engine while I can still drive the car with 1.6NA during rebuild.
If you've got a 1.6TD and want to rebuild it, why not install a 1.6NA with your TD manifolds, turbo etc and run that while you're working on your original TD motor. Then when the TD motor is redone, swap it back into the car. Only potential issue you'll have with this idea is addressing the turbo itself, if it needs service. This way you're not messing around with any exhaust issues etc and it's a direct swap out (using all your original TD external engine components to mount and run the accessories).
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Just_me
Glow Plug

Post by Just_me »

Hi guys,

Yes, using the 1.6NA on 1.6TD intake manifold is quite tempting. However, the vwdiesel.net site doesn't recommend running 1.6NA engine with turbo. Unless there is some exception, please let me know this is okay. Thanks
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

If you run the non-turbo pump and don't increase the fueling, then your engine will run cooler and have an easier time than if it were not turbo-charged.

Andrew
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Post by nicknack2 »

andrew can you elaborate on that??? no turbo pump you mean IP right?what do you mean by not increasing fueling? and what do you mean by
have an easier time than if it were not turbo-charged.
the engine he is installing is not a Turbo-charged
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

A turbo-charger increases the air into the engine. With a diesel increasing the air-to-fuel ratio will lower the combustion temps and consequently be a bit easier on the engine. There will be a slight increase in HP, but not as much as if a turbo injection pump is used. The turbo pump increases fueling according to boost pressure and so could cause trouble if combustion temps get high. Running a non-turbo pump without increasing the fuel will cause the engine to run cooler.

Andrew
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

"THEY/ONE"

Post by nicknack2 »

Got it! I was just confused because I hear all over the place that a non-turbo block should not be used with a turbo(because of the oil jets), but what you said makes cense. Same goes for the head, "THEY" always say that when "ONE" buys a new head for a turbo engine "ONE" needs to make sure it is a "true" turbo head...
coke

Post by coke »

I've always wanted to have a turbo charger with a non turbo pump. As Andrew noted, a turbo engine with a non turbo pump would last a long time, as the extra air being forced into the engine will allow for more complete combustion and lower combustion temperatures. That is what the ECO diesel engine was, a turbo motor with out the added turbo pump and extra fueling.

It would be a very clean burning engine, and with proper maintenance last a long time.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

coke wrote:I've always wanted to have a turbo charger with a non turbo pump. As Andrew noted, a turbo engine with a non turbo pump would last a long time, as the extra air being forced into the engine will allow for more complete combustion and lower combustion temperatures. That is what the ECO diesel engine was, a turbo motor with out the added turbo pump and extra fueling.

It would be a very clean burning engine, and with proper maintenance last a long time.
Coke you can get your dream just disconnect and plug up the boost to aneroid line :idea:

Or do as 'H' does and switch it in and out for passing trucks...
Paint it black and call it a Batmobile... :mrgreen:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

But mark, plugging the aneroid isn't the issue on his car. The issue is the addition of the turbo stuff. :P

Andrew
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

I just finished doing more-or-less the opposite of what Just-me is asking about: I took a Quantum turbo, exhaust and intake manifold, oil cooler, oil pan, etc. and put it on an NA Rabbit using the NA pump. Requires a bit of custom exhaust downpipe and a modification to the shifting linkage, but it's not too bad. (gave up trying to find an exhaust manifold from a TD jetta/rabbit.)

There is a noticeable improvement in performance in the mid to upper rpm range, and I'm hoping this weekend to find out what the fuel economy numbers look like.

Coke, you CAN have what you want; it's just, (like most other things,) a question of time and money! :)

Steve
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
Just_me
Glow Plug

Post by Just_me »

Hey guys,

So the back to the original question. What do I need to look out for when I put in 1.6 NA rabbit/jetta into a Quantum?

As for regular 1.6TD, its fuel pump has what is known in the industry as "boost compensator." Think of it as a thermostat for fuel. Instead of being activated by temperature, negative pressure cause by turbo boost opens up the valve kinda like carburator add more fuel due to low pressure. Now ECO-diesel fuel pump lacks this "boost compensator." So it's actually an NA fuel pump on a 1.6TD engine.

So now, can you still help me on the original issue? Thanks guys.