Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : more help for coke ---- we are now Fine-TUNING - so ? we must MUST take blotter test's --so we set up a PAPER folder.. then we order 4 NEW nozzles 193 BOSCH from Jack..

Yes they are for a 1.5L NA in the book -----do not worry they will work if you are after "SMILEAGE" -----NOT maximum power..

Then we move lock-nut up towards # 1 cylinder -----we have to adjust a LOT..

" BLOTTER " testing ? a hillbilly moonshine bailing wire thing ? if so , then EXXON -MOBIL ---is a HILLBILLY CORPORATION --that is where hagar got it from .

hagar.
coke

Post by coke »

hagar, when you say move the locknut up towards #1 cylinder, what do you mean?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : coke I was talking about IDLE screw.

hagar.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Coke, if the engine sounds decent at idle, but was rattley at higher rpms it would seem that the timing advance is too rapid. Although, as you know, you can reduce the internal pressure, perhaps better would be to swap to a higher strength advance spring. The spring strength is color coded. I look forward to having additional time in order to do more testing and documentation with all of this.

Andrew
coke

Post by coke »

Ah, yes of course hagar. Remember, I dont have a typical pump. My pump has the idle boost in which the idle is controlled on the back of the pump to a device hooked to the cold start lever. The "old" idle screw adjustment becomes the residual fuel pressure, though I've never had any luck adjusting this.

libbybapa, I have considered this, although I'm more inclined to think that retarding the timing, as hagar suggested, would take care of all the ping through the RPM range. However, its a learning adventure for me so if retarding doesn't work, a different spring will have to go in.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : coke worry not a cold fast idle system will NOT stop the TUNING process.-------we forget Idle system for now, and go to the ADA ---- I have NEVER seen a ADA so I go by BOSCH Stuttgart Germany supplied information. Reference pressure is universally 1013 Mb -----in short we disconnect lines to ADA top and bottom. Then on TOP of the ADA you will find a screw ---it is a stop adjustment for the "CONE" I would call it a tapered pin.-----yes coke it will have an effect on IDLE RPM..

Springtime in Maine Amerika ? ------ask the ground Hogs. --look for the Edelweiss to pop up in the Snow --do NOT worry about the spring for now.

At hagar's only the REAL thing -- like a northern Maine inshore LOBSTER will do ---NOT a Cuban Crayfish or Australian Rock Lobster.---remember Shakespeare ? a ROSE ?.

Yes I do like Cray's ---BUT do not call it a LOBSTER.

That is like calling Margarine , BUTTER.

hagar.
coke

Post by coke »

hagar, for your reference, I only have one pressure line going to the ADA. I haven't ever seen any more than one, but I'll double check.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : coke ALL is cool. --NO need to check ----BUT we have to disconnect that line from ADA to go on TUNING.---we have to turn cone stop --OUT--- as far as possible.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : where do WE find Automotive "Know-How" ? -----I could write a BOOK about it. BUT last night after M*A*S*H I looked at a movie called My cousin Vinny --take a look at it EH ?. --- that girl can do a TUNE-UP on Fraulein Bunny Bondo --ANY time .

hagar.
coke

Post by coke »

Hagar, did some research on the design / construction of the ADA. It is identical to that of the LDA. The barometric pressure sensor supplies a constant pressure of 700 millibars, or roughly 10PSI to the ADA. When the pressure drops, the cone moves away from the lower stop limiting the fuel supply. The LDA works in reverse, because engine air-charge is applied to the underside of the diaphragm moving the cone down allowing more fuel to flow in.

So I'm a little astray as to why you want me to turn the adjustment on the ADA Out. Can you elaborate some on this?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : coke and ALL ---hagar will gladly elaborate. --WHY ? --- because if you understand "THINGS" you can pass it on.---and make hagar proud.

The LDA and the ADA operation is identical. They are what is known as a SERVO motor moving a cone up and down according to AIR pressure against a DIAPHRAGM ---the cone has a bias spring , designed to PUSH the cone UP.---it is important to KNOW what the cone does. , it pushes a pin mounted 90 degrees to cone and pin in turn moves a linkage connected to the " FULL LOAD " stop.

coke your understanding is good BUT your lingo is wrong.-----definitions are very important here WHY ? you have great range of reader's ---Janitor's (like hagar) to Rocket Scientists like Von Braun.-----

hagars MOTTO ? yes we can --never mind the Bentley .

hagar.
coke

Post by coke »

Ok well as long as you can describe it in the correct lingo, thats good. So basically when I back the locknut off and turn the screw OUT its going to push that cone UP because of the spring, and that is going to shut my fueling down to the bare minimum correct? And I assume you will have my adjust fueling according by screwing it back down which will drive the skinnier part of the taper on the cone down and increase fueling incrementley?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : coke BINGO you got it ---for fine TUNING we leave the cone with the skinny part against the pin and PARKED. ----after that we ONLY use the manual full load screw. ----in your situation ? you should get about say 60 MPG Imp.

BUT that will take a bit of TUNING.----please do not let me down--EH ?..

Praulein Bunny Bondo is way beyond 270 000 Km and still doing the Autobahn Tango -----and man can she dance.-----I do not even worry about cost of fuel anymore.
But to be truthful , she does the "Beer Barrel Polka" most times.

hagar.

PS : my LDA education was helped by Mark Shepherd and Loren.
vwkook
Diesel Freak

Post by vwkook »

Coke: Do you ever sleep? :lol:

Or is this just keeping you awake at night? :wink:
'69 Fasty
'81 Caddy
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA :

Or is this just keeping you awake at night?

hagar sez , maybe it is the NEW BABY on his TEAM. ? EH ?.----he may have the GRAVEYARD shift during his vacation ? EH ? ----heck for hagar to CHANGE a baby ? ---NO PROBLEMO ----A happy DRY baby is like a fine TUNED Rabbit ---a sound that can not be confused with any other sound.--coke I am so envious..

hagar.