Return line.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Tac
Turbo Charger

Return line.

Post by Tac »

I broke the return line on my 1991 1.6 NA Jetta trying to get a kink out. The line is so brittle from age and probably heat. It broke right at the OUT banjo. I cut it back but can't get it to go back on. It's old and hard even tried a little heat with my heat gun. Any ideas on how to repair it or where to get that type on clear line?

Thanks Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
vwkook
Diesel Freak

Post by vwkook »

That's not the return line. It's the supply line. You weren't able to cut a bit off, warm it up and slide it back on?
'69 Fasty
'81 Caddy
Tac
Turbo Charger

I tried.

Post by Tac »

Maybe I'm Wrong but that line comes from the banjo bolt that has OUT marked on it. I did try to heat it up with my heat gun. The heat from that gun could melt it if I'm not carefull. I know That the line has to be resistent to fuel, but I may just buy some line at the hardware store to get it running.
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

No that is the return line. Try a zip tie or hose clamp until you are able to source some line. I don't know where to get some but someone will chime in.
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

Re: I tried.

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

Tac wrote:I may just buy some line at the hardware store to get it running.
clear line from the hardware works, bring old piece in to match up
Carlos Galvos wrote: The steering wheel(81VWRabbit L) is pleasant to grip, and the instrumentation is cleanly and logically laid out in a manner one would expect from a fine European car.(posted on EBAY)
82 Rabbit Diesel, 2" lift, "45 mpg average"
Tac
Turbo Charger

May be a patch hose.

Post by Tac »

Thanks for the replies. I can't clamp or wire tie it because it won't fit back onto the barbed banjo (to small). I was going to try some 1/4 inch fuel line to patch it (the od of that return line is somewhere near a 1/4 inch) but now I'm leaning more towards just visiting the hardware store with a sample piece. I think all they have is vinyl line. Hope it last until I find what I need. And now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I'll bring the copper washers that are sealing the banjo (top & bottom).

Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
vwkook
Diesel Freak

Post by vwkook »

Sorry about my earlier post. I was thinking of earlier models where only the supply line is clear. (with a braided return line) I am surprised that warming it doesn't make it more pliable and able to slide back on however. This is what I've done with supply lines in the past.
'69 Fasty
'81 Caddy
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Would you not be better off replacing the return linre with a soft rubber line and then use the clear stuff away from the engine area?
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Tac
Turbo Charger

Heat didn't work.

Post by Tac »

I tried to heat it up with my heat gun and push it on but it didn't work. It seems that when I'm able to get it to start to go on the hose will melt. Then I have to cut it back a little bit. I even had my wife hold the heat gun while I tried to push the hose on, and manipulate the temperature by putting the banjo and hose in and out of the heat. That would of been the ideal fix, but things always don't go as well as you expect sometimes.

Thanks Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
Tac
Turbo Charger

Rubber.

Post by Tac »

A 1/4 ID rubber line will fit on the barb end of the banjo pretty nice and could be clamped but the diameter of it is kind of big. It's real close to the accelerator linkage. I'd have to think about rerouting it. I thought about using it as a patch. The vinyl line might be just as big as a rubber fuel line though.

Thanks Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm pretty sure new 1/4" vinyl will fit over the banjo barb and line going back to the tank.
I have had to soften and expand them to get them over the line going back to the tank. I used a heat lamp and a tapered punch to flare it,... and slicked up the end.
I slide 3/8" rubber fuel line over the tubing to cover places it rubs and a short piece over the tubing then slid up over the barb after the tubing is installed,... tubing doesn't work well with hose clamps.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Tac
Turbo Charger

Good Idea

Post by Tac »

That sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about the diameter of the hose being to big, making the hose rub up against some parts. And the good idea about using the all to start a flare. I tried pushing the hose and banjo together while heating it. This sounds like it will work, giving the hose a head start. I'm dropping my wife off to work in a little while and then I'm going over to the giant orange hardware store. I'm also going to the parts store to get a couple of copper washers.

Thanks Fatmobile, I'll post later the results.

Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
Blowinsmoke
Glow Plug

Post by Blowinsmoke »

Those lines are a pain...Take apiece of wood and drill a hole the same sizes as the hose. Then cut the wood in half down the length. Now you can clamp the two pieces of wood with the hose in between. Leave enough of the hose pointing out the end so you can insert the barb and tap the fitting with a soft hammer...Pretty easy now isn't it??? :wink:
82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

Blowinsmoke wrote:Those lines are a pain...Take apiece of wood and drill a hole the same sizes as the hose. Then cut the wood in half down the length. Now you can clamp the two pieces of wood with the hose in between. Leave enough of the hose pointing out the end so you can insert the barb and tap the fitting with a soft hammer...Pretty easy now isn't it??? :wink:
that's a great idea! i will copy/paste and put that in my library. can use that method on most any kind of hose/tubing.
Carlos Galvos wrote: The steering wheel(81VWRabbit L) is pleasant to grip, and the instrumentation is cleanly and logically laid out in a manner one would expect from a fine European car.(posted on EBAY)
82 Rabbit Diesel, 2" lift, "45 mpg average"
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

That is one hell of an idea! If the wood works well, I'd be willing to bet that a tubing flare tool will also work and you'll have the various size holes to hold different size hoses. Never would have thought of anything like this............
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count