Fresh IP rebuild...now here's what happens

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

91vwdiesel
Cetane Booster

Fresh IP rebuild...now here's what happens

Post by 91vwdiesel »

My first IP R&R went alirght, I only had to pull the pump twice after the initial install (a few leaks). I got all the timing marks lined up, TDC, and it fired right up. After a little HB tuning I'm happy. So I get it to test drive her and when I push the throttle, the engine boggs down instantly until I release. If hold the throttle down just a little bit, even for a second, the engine dies but it fires right back up. The only thing that was in question during the rebuild was the governor. Could that be whats causing this? If so, any ideas on a solution? Fatmobile, I read a thread from awhile back that said something about a governor mod....
91vwdiesel
Cetane Booster

Post by 91vwdiesel »

BTW:
This a a 1991 VW Jetta 1.6 NA with new bosch GPs, new rebuilt bosch injectors, fresh diesel with a little ATF, and running a clear line to pump as well. Hope this helps.
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Post by nicknack2 »

did you use a dial gage for the Inj. Pump and timed it as per Bentley or you just lined up all the marks??? because if the car fired right away, the timing might be ok, but because of the bogging my guess is that you might be a little on the advance side...
'85 Jetta, 06' Jetta, 01' Duramax
Brewing BD, using it @ B40
"NAV"
91vwdiesel
Cetane Booster

Post by 91vwdiesel »

I did not use a dial gauge, so I'll try retarding it a little. Turn the top of the pump away from the motor to retard?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

91vwdiesel wrote:Turn the top of the pump away from the motor to retard?
Yes
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm not sure what could cause this,.. not sure what will happen when the governor screw isn't adjusted correctly.

180 off?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Post by idhoho »

You might also need to adjust the max fuel screw. Mine wasn't bogging down like you describe but it was still smoking at start-up and when pushing it uphill. I turned the screw out about 1/2 or so and that did the trick. I did it with the engine warm and running so I could hear the sweet spot. It was quite evident.
91vwdiesel
Cetane Booster

Post by 91vwdiesel »

180 off... I thought the same and it's not it. I am getting bubbles in my clear line, so i'm going to pick up a new fuel filter tomorrow. I'm really boggled by this. :? I don't think it's the timing only b/c even with it not turned perfect it should still be drivable, you'd just be lacking preformance/economy. as of right now it is pushing white smoke. which screw is the "max fuel screw"?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Oh yeah, it could easily be air in the fuel,... caused by a fuel line restriction.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Running the car directly from a jar of fuel bypassing everything except the IP to the motor will tell you if it's an air problem.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count