98 Jetta TDI Glow Plugs

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

98 Jetta TDI Glow Plugs

Post by coke »

I need some clarification here from some more TDI savvy people. My father's 98 Jetta TDI has three 50 amp fuses. One in a plastic case in front of the battery, one on the firewall, and another one under the dashboard underneath a "53" relay.

Why 3 fuses, and which one(s) control the coolant glow plugs, and engine glow plugs? Also, is there a separate relay for the coolant plugs ?
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

On our Golf TDI the fuses on top of the battery are:
Alternator 150A
Main electrical 110A
Rad fan high speed 30A
ECU 50A
Diesel Glowplugs 50A
The above are of the same type as mk1-2 GP fuse

Then there are 3 normal fuses too on the top of the battery:
Rad fan, low speed 30A
ABS 30
ABS 30

That´s all, the rest are normal 5-30Amps..
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

IF i remember, one on the firewall is for the glowplugs, the one near the coolant bottle is for the coolant fan control and i want to say the other is for the secondary air pump but that's for a gasser. If nobody else answers you, i'm about to dig out to my garage this afternoon and i will find my wiring books and tell you. MPalm list is for an A4 platform.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

Okay the other one which i believe is attached to a relay is for the coolant glow plugs. These are not the glow plugs for the motor,they are for the glow plugs which help heat the antifreeze that runs into the passanger compartment.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na