New Injectors Leaking

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

New Injectors Leaking

Post by hippiehulahooper »

when I first installed only #1 was leaking/bubbling. so I pulled it and put in a different heat shield. the bubbling went away but it was still leaking.
today I noticed that #3 has now started bubbling. why would an injector start bubbling after two weeks from install?
90 Jetta chasis, NA mech. PS, AC.
parts needed:drivers side rain gutter, drivers side rocker panel and rear flare

86 Jetta TD(bottom end needs rebuild)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Did you clean the sealing surfaces before you installed them?
I'm not sure why it took 2 weeks to leak.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Two things spring to mind:

- did you use new heat shields when you installed the injectors ?
- did you torque the injectors to 52 ft-lbs ?

Otherwise, with a few heating/cooling cycles things could open up.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

heat shield, torque, clean sealing surface

- did you use new heat shields when you installed the injectors ?
- did you torque the injectors to 52 ft-lbs ?
-yes
-yes
Did you clean the sealing surfaces before you installed them?
I'm not sure why it took 2 weeks to leak.
not really. just put my finger in and did a swipe. I think I remember reading in a thread where you can put a used heat shield with a screw and sandpaper I think it was. how do you clean the sealing surface?

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Most often fuel bubbling out of the threads is actually leaking from the injector seam or the return lines, flowing down the outside of the injector and then boiling out when the engine gets warm. Second and much less likely would be from it leaking around the top of the nozzle and leaking down between the nozzle and the lower half of the injector and then leaking past the heat shield and boiling out the threads.

These are NEW injectors, brand new?

Andrew
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Post by idhoho »

Sounds like a real nuisance but not all that unusual. I too am suprised that the leaking started later in the game. It is probably something other than the injectors leaking if they are professionally rebuilt. It is more likely to be leaking at the connection nut on top or the return lines. If the injectors are wet all the way to the top then it is probably the incoming fuel line. If they are leaking from the first shoulder down then it is likely the return lines. Did you make sure to align the fuel rail fittings with the injectors prior to threading the nuts? You could even have a leaky fuel rail tube!
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

remanned and hardline alignment

These are NEW injectors, brand new?
Remanned
Did you make sure to align the fuel rail fittings with the injectors prior to threading the nuts?
Yeah but I'll do it again.

hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

leak on timing belt

well I pulled all the injectors. cleaned the seats. new heat shields. seated hard lines before tightening nut. cut return line for best seal.
still getting fuel down the side and bubbling on more than one.
drove it for a while. and today I noticed some wetness on my timing belt cover...:evil: and yes it got on the belt. so there is a warranty on these so I am replacing them.
The "old" injectors that came with the car never leaked like this and I had those out on more than one once...head gasket, compression checks twice...just to name a few. so I don't think it is me.

hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

leak on timing belt

well I pulled all the injectors. cleaned the seats. new heat shields. seated hard lines before tightening nut. cut return line for best seal.
still getting fuel down the side and bubbling on more than one.
drove it for a while. and today I noticed some wetness on my timing belt cover...:evil: and yes it got on the belt. so there is a warranty on these so I am replacing them.
The "old" injectors that came with the car never leaked like this and I had those out on more than one once...head gasket, compression checks twice...just to name a few. so I don't think it is me.

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: leak on timing belt

Post by 82vdub »

hippiehulahooper wrote:still getting fuel down the side and bubbling on more than one.
Look closesly and try to determine where the fuel is coming from. Maybe you need to mess with them just a little more to get the leak to stop. Maybe your return lines aren't tight enough and they leak there, and maybe the injector isn't screwed together tight enough. Don't know, but I'd try to figure out exactly where each one is leaking before just putting all new in.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

recap

Look closesly and try to determine where the fuel is coming from. Maybe you need to mess with them just a little more to get the leak to stop. Maybe your return lines aren't tight enough and they leak there, and maybe the injector isn't screwed together tight enough. Don't know, but I'd try to figure out exactly where each one is leaking before just putting all new in.
I'll try again but I haven't been able to tell yet. I cut the return line to get the tightest seal possible and pushed the hose over the barb and all the way down to the seat. so that should not be leaking. it was a very tight. if the injector is not screwed tight enough then that has to do with the rebuilder. I'm not messing with the injector. I don't have any way to test. I can control the seat, heat shield, torque, hardline seat and torque and return line.

I never had this problem with the "original" set that came with the car. even after removing them for compression checks. where i had to do all of this anyway. I don't think it is me but I have been wrong before with that one :roll:

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: recap

Post by 82vdub »

hippiehulahooper wrote:I cut the return line to get the tightest seal possible and pushed the hose over the barb and all the way down to the seat. so that should not be leaking. it was a very tight.
I have found a difference in the standard vacuum hose that you get at the auto store and the real rubber hose with the braided string mat covering the rubber that you get at your favorite VW sales place, or a diesel repair place. The standard rubber line swells, and may not seal well, where the braided covered rubber will nearly tear the end of the line off trying to remove it from the barbed fitting. In other words, huge difference in fit.

If it's leaking from this area, you can also get the small little clips that you can install over these lines to hold them to the barb tighter. I've also cracked a barb when trying to service the injectors and spent weeks and hours trying to get it to quit leaking until I found the crack.

I just don't want you to get another new set and find yourself in the same situation, unless you know 100% positively that it's the injector leaking, not the line or fittings etc.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

braided line

I am using the braided line.
I don't know where it is leaking yet. but more then one are leaking.

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

How did you clean the seats?
Once they get wet it's hard to tell where it's coming from. I spray them down with simple green or purple or something and spray it off with clean water,... let it dry and start it up. It's easier to rub you finger and check for diesel than it is to see the leak.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

even if it is the cloth line and was cut it can/will leak. I fought something similar when I used to use the cloth line. I cut it put it on and after 1 day it started leaking on 1 and 4. After 4 days it started leaking on 2 and 3....the only thing was I didn't know what was leaking. I since went to a chainsaw fuel line and haven't had a problem since. Before you go and put the old injectors in, try 100% brand new line cloth or otherwise. I bet/hope that it will help your situation. If not it won't do any harm:D