head retorque questions

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

woodrat
Diesel Freak

head retorque questions

Post by woodrat »

I am coming up on the 1000 mile retorque for my head gasket. Is that done with the engine warm ? I'm getting ready to go on a road trip tomorrow, if I can't do it right on the 1000 mile mark, would it be better to do it a couple hundred ahead of time or a few hundred miles later?
'92 Dodge W250 Cummins Turbo Diesel
'90 Subaru Legacy AWD wagon
'89 Jetta diesel
'88 Jetta Carat gasser
http://blog.redalderranch.com
woodrat
Diesel Freak

Post by woodrat »

nobody has an opinion about this?
'89 Jetta diesel
'88 Jetta Carat gasser
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Frankly, I'd ask Jack. There is some debate over whether or not the newer head gaskets actually need to be retorqued at 1000 miles. His suggestion to me on numerous occasions was to only retorque if you notice 'seepage', presumably either oil or water leaking out.

The guidelines for the service were last updated way back in 1986, and I don't think that Bentley has updated to accomodate the newer gaskets.

If you want to err on the side of caution, then go ahead and retorque. The sequence is the same, and can be done either hot or cold.

You'll have to retorque each 1/4 in one motion. If you feel the bolts start to stretch/give, that's normal. What I usually do it set my torque wrench to 110 ft/lbs and use it for the final torque instead of a breaker bar. Usually, when fully torqued, the bolts finish up in the 106-120 ft/lbs range. Mind you, I do not keep wrenching the bolts till they get to 110, I do the 1/4 turn trick, but like to see where the bolts are finishing up at by seeing if the wrench clicks.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The Quantum Bentley says specifically that the 1,000 mile re-torque can be done with the engine hot OR cold.

Andrew
woodrat
Diesel Freak

Post by woodrat »

I've got no seepage or anything, I was just following the directions. I will probably do it today or tomorrow, at around 1500 miles.

thanks!
'89 Jetta diesel
'88 Jetta Carat gasser
Jake_Speed
Glow Plug

Post by Jake_Speed »

1/4 turn is 1/4 turn... so it shouldn't make a difference if the engine is cold or hot. That being said, I followed Bentley for the mk2 Golf, which indicated a cold engine for the 1000km retorque, and I was very surprised how much force was required to get that last 90 degrees. Yikes! I was expecting those bolts to shear off! This was especially surprising compared to the previous 90 degree turn (initial install, after first warm up to operating temp)... that was very easy. Maybe if the gasket is hot it will compress more easily? Next time I'll be trying it hot, as I can't see how it could make that much difference to the effectiveness of the seal. I would say though that the 1000km 1/4 turn is advisable, as the design with those stretch bolts calls for that amount of tension in the assembly (head and block).

A word of advice... support the hood with a piece of rope from your garage ceiling - the 1/4 turn should be done in one go, and the hood prop rod can get in the way of this!

Jake
woodrat
Diesel Freak

Post by woodrat »

I did my retorque at 1400 miles and it was tougher than the initial warm retorque, but not bad. 600 miles later, my engine quit running on the highway and I got a $400 tow truck ride to a friend's house. i will look at it tomorrow, and see if I can figure out what is up. Oil and coolant are both clean and full and un mixed. hopefully it is not the head gasket or head.
'89 Jetta diesel
'88 Jetta Carat gasser