Trouble on the road - part 2. Serious Runaway!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

VW Jon
Turbo Charger

Post by VW Jon »

That's hardcore.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Glad to hear you finally got it home! I'm keeping that picture by the way :)
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

thats one good idea, what engine does the bus have? 8.2 international diesel or 366 Chev gas? My local bus company stuck to the high reving 366ci gas as they were able to rev harder up the steep country roads, anyway- glad you made it! Your close, may have to have a beer one of these days and I can share my rebuild pictures of my Golf... as for cleaning the engine im game for any advice as well, because to tell the truth i never got the top of my block perfectly clean- it was 100% smooth but still some black good left over and i figured if that crap was tough enough to endure lacquer thinner it would be pefectly happy liveing under a new gasket- im 30k into the new engine and its been perfect so far :wink:
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

took some searching on you tube, but this is the exact bus the Sandy school dist used during my childhood in the middle 80's. they screem 4,000 rpm up the steepest hills quite well- That tranny whine at the end of the video just took be back to gradeschool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLTlRoGmiIE
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

Glad you made it home and posted the update; I was beginning to think the whole misadventure had turned so sour you never wanted to 'talk' to us about diesels again. Happy to hear you're moving toward getting the little bunny back on the road again; you'll have to take another picture later just for kicks with the bunny hooked up to pull the bus. :)
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
diesel_fool
Cetane Booster

Post by diesel_fool »

LOL tawney. Thats a good idea.

The truth is... the bus has a 6.6L Ford New Holland Diesel in it. I went for the new holland for the same reasons I went for the 1.6D. It's simple and mechanical. And the 6.6 is supposed to be pretty bulletproof. I guess time will tell.
79' White Bunny. 1.6 n/a.
coke

Post by coke »

Thats awesome. You're my hero, and my kind of guy. I would've done the same thing in a heartbeat, and I would have taken pride in driving a big yellow diesel powered bus. Thats rockin.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If you're taking the block to a machine shop, they will return it to you nice and clean. They will hot tank it, or jet wash it and be nice and grease free when you get it. NIce solution to your problems and glad to hear that you are at home now.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
woodrat
Diesel Freak

Post by woodrat »

sweet solution!

You give me hope. My brand new cylinder head job slipped the belt and bent a valve 2000 miles later. I am feeling pretty bummed out and annoyed and confused about what happened.

But your refusal to give up on your rabbit is inspirational.
'92 Dodge W250 Cummins Turbo Diesel
'90 Subaru Legacy AWD wagon
'89 Jetta diesel
'88 Jetta Carat gasser
http://blog.redalderranch.com
kevin g
Diesel Freak

Post by kevin g »

try using some Rislone Ring Seal in the oil. I tried it in a vw diesel and a volvo diesel, I was in doubt at first but it did absolte wonders!!! Results in about 10 miles! Highly recommend it!