Losing Prime Question;

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

dlcentral
Glow Plug

Losing Prime Question;

Post by dlcentral »

Hi all, very good informative site you have here!,,I have a quest re; my 84 jetta diesel losing prime esp overnight,but it even loses prime if it sits a few hrs too..Is there a check valve either in the fuel tank or return line possibly bad,because if I put a small tank of fuel directly on inj pump it slowly drains down.All connections are tight and hoses look in good cond? thx dc
rallydiesel
Cetane Booster

Post by rallydiesel »

Your IP main seal/bushings could be bad. Any diesel behind the IP pulley?
2006 Jetta TDI
1991 Jetta TD
Brian Rages
Diesel Freak

Post by Brian Rages »

My 1986 has a check valve. Mine was plugged up and causing fuel starvation. I used McMaster Carr # 47245k18 to replace it ($6, vs something like $40 at the dealer!)
dlcentral
Glow Plug

Post by dlcentral »

ip seal is fine.Clean n dry. This car has been sitting for like 10 yrs,so it needs return lines.I cut the bad off of them but they are shot,Running down the road it goes like crazy, no power loss.Starts bettter since cuttin the rot off the lines,Brian,where's the check valve located in i/p or tank?,
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If your return lines are shot, you may already know why the fuel is siphoning back to the tank. A leaking supply or return line will allow this to happen.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
dlcentral
Glow Plug

Post by dlcentral »

Brian, I see the mcmaster carr . check valve in catalog where did you put yours on supply line before the fuel filt, or on the return line aft inj pump?,as it'sstill losing prime after replacing injector return lines,
dlcentral
Glow Plug

Post by dlcentral »

Problem fixed., return line banjo check valve was leaking down on pump.Now with a a bad checkvalve I want to take that valve assy out and tap the bolt head top of the banjo bolt for a pressure guage,to check pump pressures, will that work for me?,,
Brian Rages
Diesel Freak

Post by Brian Rages »

Regarding the check valve question, mine was located under the car near the (former location of the) water separator.