injection pump shaft bushings

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Very cool. I might do the same with an 8mm head I have from an ECO. I don't have a better use for it. :lol:

Andrew
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The pumps I've been pulling out of the pile have been all nasty inside,.. that's why destroying the heads on a couple to make the tool doesn't bug me much. One of them was the pump used on the original Fatmobile, died full of vegy then sat.
I needed to see how deep the bushings were supposed to sit, the machine shop set the others in too deep and I didn't pay close attention when I pulled it apart.
So I took the old practice pump apart, pulled the bushings, pressed in new ones and started reaming.
I set them at surface level on the inside and the old outer ones were slightly raised.
I reamed and checked, reamed and checked, reamed and checked.....
The used reamer that I got was working great, the shaft was just starting to slide in about an 1/8" and stick,... that was the maximum adjustment on that reamer. Ran it through a couple more times but couldn't get another thou off.
I'll have to pick up the new $16, 17mm+-, adjustable reamer I ordered at the welding supplier before I found the used ones.
Soooo damn close.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Nice. I'll be doing the same before long. :D

Andrew
rallydiesel
Cetane Booster

Post by rallydiesel »

Reamer ordered. Hardcore reaming to ensue shortly.
2006 Jetta TDI
1991 Jetta TD
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The reamer I was using came up just short,... the new one I ordered came in and finished it up nicely.
I'm not sure I could do it with just one reamer.
Learning about reamers.
Most if not all of the reamers I've seen are not metric.
17mm (about the size of the mainshaft) is 21/32"
My first reamer was 19/32 - 21/32
and my new one is 21/32 - 23/32
Here's a pic of my bushing swap tool box:
Notice the 2 reamers under the T-handle.
One has a long tail to guide it, KD brand #3049... that's the first one I got and it fits in the guide that I made.
The next one down has no guide tail and was only used for a couple passes toward the end.... might not be needed for every pump.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

That is truly awesome. Love the foam board for the tools.

Andrew
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

x2 I love tools that come with cases. That way you can see what you left under the pulling tree.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

Fatmobile, you make my efforts at organization look like the work of a tornado! So..., did you 'carve' the foam with a torch, acetone, or tool?

81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That's a great picture :) , I'm trying to figure out what each one does.
I grabbed some scrap foam and my buddy found a metal tool case for me.
I used a serrated blade that I call the ginsu 2000. I found one called that at the second hand store and it works for everything from removing seam sealer to... carving foam 10cents.
I'll probably put a piece of stretchy cloth, like an old tie dye t-shirt over it, stick it down,.. but I still have a few tools to include.
It will be nice to grab one box when it's time to mess with injection pump.

That way you can see what you left under the pulling tree.
Ha, barely thawed up and I've already gotten some work out of that pullin' tree.
I try to have a "pallet" or two when I break the tools out. My favorite is a Golf 2 door c-pillar, It holds alot of tools, bolts etc and sits nicely in the engine bay. Cover it with a towel so the tools don't slide around and it helps clean them. I can grab all the tools I'm using at once and move them.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: injection pump shaft bushings

Post by Fatmobile »

I was working on the TD pump that's in my Golf,
reamed the bushing
I haven't been checking with the telescoping gauge, just been going by feel.

I reamed the bushings and thought it might be a little tight but I could rotate it and I figured when it's coated in diesel it should break-in and be fine.

Well I was having problems with the pump, tried to rev it and it would die,.. didn't run too well, surging when it was running.

Looking at the clear fuel lines; air was getting pulled in,.. then almost looked like it was getting pumped back into the filter as air bubbles rushed that way. I figured something must be messed up with the vane pump,.. since the vacuum gauge wasn't showing a restriction,..
and even with an electric pump it was still having a hard time moving fuel while cranking.
Opened it back up:

I didn't keep it clean enough, something burnished itself into the pump and cover, sticking the vanes.
Another lesson might be to make sure the vane pump moves around freely after you tighten the screws on the cover.
I had a spare/used vane pump and cover to swap in.

Good thing this happened, because the shaft didn't break-in and feel loose after the short test run.
It got tighter and felt sticky, one bushing might have had a tint of blue to part of it.
Fortunately I left the reamer at the last setting, so I ran it through one more time
then gave it another 1/8th of a turn and ran it through again.
The fit was much better, it slid in easy had no slop
and even installed with the new vane pump was easy to "snap" the threaded end of the mainshaft and get to spin freely.

Not sure who said "You find your limits by exceding them" but now I know when to run that reamer one more time.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
damac
Diesel Freak

Post by damac »

I want to experiment with this to save money and luckily I have a pump that worked well off the car, while the car is still up and running. I want to break it all down to reseal and all of that good stuff but figured old pumps should have the mainshaft bushings done while its off the car.

When done right just how tight is the fit when trying to turn by hand? Smooth without any hint of wobble that I notice with older pumps?

Is it even possible to get an old pump that has never been torn apart @ 200,000 miles be within the wear limits and not need to be touched when everything is torn down?

I have a friend that works at a machine shop and I was going to just hand him the parts over, check mainshaft and ream the bushings I install. So on his end do I just give him a value on how much less the bushings need to be vs. the mainshaft? Is that the .001 figure I tell them to shoot for?
1985 jetta turbo diesel, 5 speed manual
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Right, if you can't reem them yourself,
tell him 1 thou is the clearance to shoot for.

It should spin easily without sticking, when the right part of the shaft is running across the bushings.
but it shouldn't clink side-to side.
Even an extra 1/2 thou can make it loose enough to "clink".
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Probably not the best thread to post this in,.. but since it's the same pump I'm messing with;
here's the next thing I screwed up on it:

I'm still having problems with it pulling fuel so I took it apart again,.. this time I found a shard of aluminum inside.

When sealing the top there are 2 choices of seals.
One is form fitted but has nubs that need cut off or it won't fit in the groove. That's the one I like to use,it's thicker, seems stonger,
but it's not the one that supposed to be used.
On this one the nubs pressed so hard against the wall, when tightened down; it broke.

It's pretty thin but I've never seen one break before.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
damac
Diesel Freak

Post by damac »

So even on the pump I am going to reseal now, it has that egg shaped type play, and pretty much every used pump I have got my hands on has had this. The one on the car now even more so. And that is without me having the pump apart yet, will be fun to see the innards for the first time.

And holy cow at that piece breaking, I sealed one pump top when I first got my jetta and used the same seal, and I could not get the top lid to tighten down all the way but could of swore I read some link on the internet that mentioned that seal being the right one and that the lid probably wouldn't tighten all the way down and my did not :)

I bought some guys reseal video off of ebay and just got it in the mail and watched the whole 2 hours in one sitting and he also used the round seal which formed right into all the bends. It never dawned on me that anything was wrong but should have. I think that might be from another vehicle that the seal kits cross reference with like some dodge cummins application.

Looking at that guys video is so much better than the pictures on the forum and now I am kicking myself that I didn't do this earlier. If you have a clean work area, the tools and take your time each step of the way, you should have no problem putting things back together.
1985 jetta turbo diesel, 5 speed manual
mtran
Diesel Freak

Post by mtran »

Fatmobile wrote:Probably not the best thread to post this in,.. but since it's the same pump I'm messing with;
here's the next thing I screwed up on it:
X2,I Think that new O ring is samehow bigger(width),I didn`t like way I puting,only 1 month
I`ll improve my English