fuel line connection between tank and input to fuel filter

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Pu241
Cetane Booster

fuel line connection between tank and input to fuel filter

Post by Pu241 »

OK hate to ask a question already answered but have used search extensively and, with Fatmobile's help, found some of the info I needed.
But I have one last question I can't seem to find the answer to.

I understand that the fuel connection between the metal fuel line coming from fuel tank to the input to the fuel filter can be replaced with 5/16" or 1/4" ID line.
My problem is I have the original connection (I suspect) with the crimped connection to the banjo bolt on the fuel filter input.
Can I cut/grind the crimped line off leaving me with a connection that will accept a 5/16" or 1/4" ID line?
I'am have bubbles in the line coming from the fuel filter to the IP after replacing the patch work of hosing and clamps that the PO must have install many years ago.
With the clear line I noticed a fair number of air bubbles in the fuel line especially after an exstended high speed run.
Also, noticed this moring the fuel line was partially empty/filled with air. But she always starts right up!
I suspect I get fuel starvation at high rpm.
Limiting my maximum speed/acceleration.
Just need to replace this properly to trouble shoot this issue as is well documented in this forum!
All problems can be solved with the appropriate application of antimatter!
'81 Rabbit 125K
'88 GMC Step Van P-30 6.2L
Detroit Diesel 2-71 Generator
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Can I cut/grind the crimped line off leaving me with a connection that will accept a 5/16" or 1/4" ID line?
Yes, I do it to all of them.
I pull the filter input banjo and swap an output banjo on it.
I like to use the input ones for the vegy setup. After you remove the metal crimp, I prefer a cutoff wheel, there is a brass barb underneath,... probably 12.25mm so it won't accept 5/16" or 1/4"
I cut the barb off and tapp the brass banjo to 1/8" NPT so I can put any size barbed fitting on it that I want.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Pu241
Cetane Booster

Post by Pu241 »

Thanks Fatmobile!

So I need to get another filter out banjo fitting so I can connect the 1/4" or 5/16" tubing directly to the metal fuel line from the tank?

So the in and out banjo fittings are different?

Did I commit some sort of forum faux pas as I see there where 51 view to this thread and 1 response?

I just didn't want to cut a fitting off and be left with a miss matched connection that I likely was going to have difficulty in mating up with fuel tubing.
Which it appears is what would have happened!
All problems can be solved with the appropriate application of antimatter!
'81 Rabbit 125K
'88 GMC Step Van P-30 6.2L
Detroit Diesel 2-71 Generator
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, the filter input banjo is brass, the output is steel.
You can use the brass one and tap for a proper sized barb, but I'd save that for the vegy system.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.