Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Fuel.

Post by hagar »

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : I see a perfect storm ---of posting's in the forums WHY ? .

Older Rabbits + Younger ownwners. -----

hagar.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Just skimming this I find the following:

[quote]3.4 Lubricity

On the issue of lubricity and possible effects of low-sulphur diesel on current engines, EPA found that:

“[It is] uncertain about the potential impacts of the 15-ppm sulfur standard on fuel lubricity. There is evidence that the typical process used to remove sulfur from diesel fuel – hydrotreating – can impact lubricity depending on the severity of the treatment process and characteristics of the crude. Because refiners will likely rely on hydrotreating to achieve the proposed sulfur limit, there may be reductions in the concentration of those components of diesel fuel which contribute to adequate lubricity. As a result, the lubricity of some batches of fuel may be reduced compared to today's levels, resulting in an increased need for the use of lubricity additives in highway diesel fuel.â€
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
woodrat
Diesel Freak

Post by woodrat »

82vdub wrote: Looks like it's ultimately up to us to guarantee that our fuel is properly lubricated.
Ever since the new fuel came out, I try to run a minimum of about 5% bio and/or powerservice in my diesel truck and now in my jetta. From what I've read on other forums, bio does provide additional lubricity and I can get that easily at the pump in the city now.
'92 Dodge W250 Cummins Turbo Diesel
'90 Subaru Legacy AWD wagon
'89 Jetta diesel
'88 Jetta Carat gasser
http://blog.redalderranch.com
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I add Stanadyne in my fuel (also begun adding it to my fuel oil tanks for the home furnace too) and add oil to my diesel fuel in the winter, and melt wax in the summer months to add lubricity. I've known the ULSD fuel was potentially low on lubrication properties, but I didn't know that they didn't mandate that it has to have some minimum lubrication properties.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Fatmobile ----I must be doing something -- WRONG ----- when so many get hagar WRONG EH ?.

To stray a bit ----last night the Wizard of OZ was on.------yes hagar is a Hollywood film nut-case.

----- anyway Stanadyne does NOT replace "WAX" in Rabbits.

on and on and on.

What can hagar do ? EH ?.

hagar.
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

Hagar, I think congratulations are in order for making it to 100! :wink:

(I don't always read, but I do watch the numbers.)

By the way, I'm probably part of the 'perfect storm' you referred to, so I'm flattered to fall into your category of 'younger owners'. :)
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

[quote="tawney"]Hagar, I think congratulations are in order for making it to 100! :wink:

(I don't always read, but I do watch the numbers.)

By the way, I'm probably part of the 'perfect storm' you referred to, so I'm flattered to fall into your category of 'younger owners'. :)[/quote]

Perhaps we need to ring bind the pages.. Heck if Hagar turns out to be Tom Riddle then we can have a talking book :mrgreen:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : From the one and only Quantum-man,

hagar sez : I have known Mark Shepherd .UK -----for a long long time . and I am about to take a doze of my own medicine.

Ring-Binder is it for me.

No he can NOT put the worms back in the can -----BUT he can make them dance on the head of a pin..

hagar.
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Hagar, do you know if the system used to regulate control collar travel is linear? For example, if I wanted to use a throttle position sensor, could I equate the position of the IP cable with the amount of fuel injected linearly, or do I need some sort of transform because the springs in the IP aren't linear?
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

lyeinyoureye wrote:Hagar, do you know if the system used to regulate control collar travel is linear? For example, if I wanted to use a throttle position sensor, could I equate the position of the IP cable with the amount of fuel injected linearly, or do I need some sort of transform because the springs in the IP aren't linear?
Springs are linear but there are more than one. Throttle does not directly control collar. If TD there's input by the turbo
If I sit in my car at idle and gently press the 'accelerator' the control is only linear to a point then it'll race away with no further movement of the pedal. Is it linear under load or logarithmic?
What's the application? Sounds interesting...
:?:

... girls like em ;o)

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

I was hoping to do something like this except instead of recording the injector firings, the sound card would just record voltage based on a TPS hooked up to the IP cable. Even if it isn't linear, I figure I can apply a transform to the voltages after data from a few tanks, but for some reason I think that it is more or less. Something similar could also be incorporated relatively easily into something like this.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : What did hagar do when he saw the perfect storm (of questions) was approaching ?---------he headed for the nearest safe place to ride it out -- EH ? --you bet ----his private "BEERGARDEN" ----sometimes lecture hall for the "TUNING" academy.-SO ? that is where I am on April 01 -2008.--- Opera ? for the few of you who like them (like hagar) I wrote the Opera VW Rabbit diesel "La .Traviata" ( I am listening to the Verdi :La Traviata on SIRIUS ,right NOW)----.

To celebrate 100 pages ,written for you Gals and Boy's I decided to tell who writes in these FORUMS. -----BUT , let me tell all :Newbies: , if you found your way here ----you are BLESSED -----read my lips.

hagar.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Talking of Gal's how many do we have here posting or lurking? Perhaps more posting would be a calming influence on all this testosterone.[sp]... or not :wink: Mind you the most heated forum I belong to is an Epiphyllum society :shock: followed by ferret owners :lol:

... girls like em ;o)

vwkook
Diesel Freak

Post by vwkook »

I'll tip a tall cool bier to the centennial.
'69 Fasty
'81 Caddy