The Price of Diesel

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

dr. no
Glow Plug

Post by dr. no »

I haven't actually looked at petro this week; last week it was 3.47. (Fort Worth).
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

A little off topic but they just shut down a huge biodiesel plant locally because to price of veg oil got too high.
I think winter use of biodiesel is less than summer use, they will probably start back up here soon, when winter stockpiles runs down.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
coke

Post by coke »

I just paid 51 bucks for 12 gallons the other night.
harry_the_face
Cetane Booster

Post by harry_the_face »

Here in Eastern Oregon it is hovering around $3.99/ gal. This sucks.
I own an 85 Quantum TD Sedan

and now a 84 Mercedes 190D na,
the wife made me get it because she HATES the Quantum. I Like the VW better of course
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

Up to 4.17 today. I drive about 200 miles a week to work and spend around 17.00-20.00 a week on fuel not to bad.
1981 VW Diesel truck / 1984 Rabbit car welded together
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Its $5.70 a gallon here in Canada right now for diesel. Gas is about $5.22 a gallon. Would help if you guys didn't burn oil in your furnaces in the winter and drive the price up and we would not pipe and truck fuel to the states like its going out of style. We use nat gas here in Canada in our homes cleaner and cheaper and there is no lack of fuel here but we got problems when we have to feed fuel hungry Uncle Sam. Price should be around 40 cents a litre. We once were going to do like Venezuela and have 11cents a litre. We were going to look after our counrty first and then sell to the world at a different price. It was looked at like a communist idea and got shot down. I think it was called the national energy program. I live on the highway that goes to the border I can follow our fuel trucks that go down to the states and buy that same fuel that comes out of those trucks at your US stations for 1-2 dollars a gallon cheaper. When I buy that fuel in the city that has the upgrader in Canada its $5.70 a gallon and the upgrader is almost in the city about 1/2 mile out. That fuel goes in a truck and drives about 180 miles south to Montana and is given away for next to nothing and sold at your pumps. Some of the fuel is a higher grade and gets mixed in with the American watery fuel (kinda like your beer). Gee who is getting screwed here? To you people in the states that THINK your getting a raw deal give your head a shake your getting a bargin. But then again you guys are getting screwed in another fashion in the fuel war in the gulf that brings your economy right down the crapper. So I guess we all pay for it in the end...
The VW RABBIT the most important car for VW second only to the BUG.

my band..
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrel-Mu ... 9006395026
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

A person can look at isolated areas and oddities everywhere. But per capita Canada is the largest energy user in the world. So we are a bit of a black kettle. A lot of places don't have gas lines witch cost millions to install. So is burn oil for heat a better use of oil that putting it in your exotic car. Calgary is fast become the highest exotic car per capita owners in the world.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
harry_the_face
Cetane Booster

Post by harry_the_face »

How much of your $5.70 per gallon is TAXES? I would venture to guess that it is a lot. And if it wasn't for us Americans than you would lose all that money that your Canadian companies make off of us. SO don't blame us, the "National Energy Program" sounded like the way to go.
I own an 85 Quantum TD Sedan

and now a 84 Mercedes 190D na,
the wife made me get it because she HATES the Quantum. I Like the VW better of course
Pu241
Cetane Booster

Post by Pu241 »

A1-2-A3,
Now that your finished whining, I hope!
Tell us what amount of tax is on that gallon of Canadian gas!
Economics doesn't work that way even in Canada, your oil companies wouldn't sell it to the U.S. if they weren't making a better profit!

Yes, we as a nation use far more fuel than our share, but who developed those fields?
I'm hoping we will be learning something from this rising cost structure, both in dollars and lives, but I wont be holding my breath.
Before you denigrate an entire nation for its fuel use, consider some of us have never owned a car (30+ yrs worth) that got less than 40 mpg.
Can you say the same?
As has already been pointed out, is it better to burn this limited resource for heat or transportation?
I'm a plastic engineer it should be a crime to burn any of it!
But it is the basis for most of the worlds energy needs!
I suppose you would also forbid the building of nuclear power plants, which is the only viable alternative to fossile fuels!

Note: My Canadian friends I do not judge you by the rainting of an individual.
I was fortunate enough for a Candian family to bring their diesel Smart car down to Ohio, some months ago, to let me and many friends drive it!
So understand the above is directed toward an individual.
All problems can be solved with the appropriate application of antimatter!
'81 Rabbit 125K
'88 GMC Step Van P-30 6.2L
Detroit Diesel 2-71 Generator
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

A1-2-A3 where in Canada are you located?

Diesel is up to $1.31 a litre as of this weekend which is $4.96 per US Gallon.

I guess this site kind of kills our fun here but it has all of the majorish Canadian city fuel prices. It's a couple days old but still neat to look at!

http://www.mjervin.com/WPPS_Public.htm
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

That was for March 18th. Now looking at the website, there is more to it including historical prices. http://www.mjervin.com/
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
Hexar
Cetane Booster

Post by Hexar »

just filled up a tank this Friday at Drumheller, 1.17/Liter, that is about 4.5 CAD $/gal
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I believe A1-2-A3 is from Saskatchewan. As near as I can figure the average Canadian tax is 32 cents on a 74 cent cost margins. In the US the tax is 12 cents tax on a 73 cent cost margins. I guess they can refine gas one cent cheaper in the U.S.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Pu241
Cetane Booster

Post by Pu241 »

surfcam wrote:In the US the tax is 12 cents tax on a 73 cent cost margins.
Depends on state too!
States vary a lot in their tax on gasoline.
Georgia is the lowest (I could be wrong there, as this was some time ago) and goes up dramatically from there.
Believe California is amongst the highest!

As far as cost to refine I can't beleive there is that much margine between US and Canadian refiners.
I suspect it just cheaper to truck Canadian gasoline down to the Northern states than the 1500+ miles from the primary refineries in Texas and the east US coast.
The West coast doesn't count as it has been short on capacity for some time.
Think there maybe refiners in Oklahoma as well but don't know specifics concerning capacity.
All problems can be solved with the appropriate application of antimatter!
'81 Rabbit 125K
'88 GMC Step Van P-30 6.2L
Detroit Diesel 2-71 Generator
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

my friends family owns a pavement plant, word is that the county and state have reduced there paveing plans by 50% due to the price spike in oil.
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG