new odometer malfuntion info.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hjalbert
Turbo Charger

new odometer malfuntion info.

Post by hjalbert »

Ok...My odometer (trip and lifetime) work sporadically. Today on the drive to Raleigh I was messing around with the reset, and discovered If I push it in the slightest amount, it allows the 10ths digit to turn, and the ones and tens turn when they should, ALong with the life time ODO... Now when the tenths gets to above five, i can remove my slight pressure on the reset, and it will make its way around to the next mile, say 12.1 When it gets to the .1, or possible halfway in between .1 and .2, it stops again, then I would push the reset in a little, and it would turn properly. this continued for a while. When It got above 15 miles, it works all by itself.... until you reset it, then it is back to sporadic. and when it is sporadic it never makes it past like 7 miles. What is funny is when I bought it the trip ODO read right around 24 miles. Maybe that is why he was late picking me up, and the tank was full, I did not discover the problem until I stopped to fill up.... So does this sound like a similar symptom to the little cracked gear I have read about??? I plan on taking it apart to find out, but it seems like something is not lining up correctly due to the reset button coming out to far....If I find out I will post... thanks
1980 two door dasher
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 diesel work truck
1968 red Baja Bug-stolen 4-12-2010
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Hmm. I'm not familiar with this behavior, so I'm not sure if that's the cracked gear or not. Could be that messing with the reset button makes things easier to turn so the cracked gear doesn't slip on the shaft as much?
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

I have gotten this thing completely disassembled, everything SEEMS to be ok, but obviously I am missing something.... except for removing the speedo needle to try and correct my lack of tension on that spring. I cannot figure how it comes off, I am going to do a search and look at fourcrawler. thanks
1980 two door dasher
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

I was not able to remove my Fox needle. I tried on a spare unit and all I did was break the needle. It looks like if you wrapped the needle all the way around 85MPH and lifted it up and over the "0" post, it would tension the needle spring more. Maybe too much, though, and your speedo would read too low!

I didn't see any other way to adjust it.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

There is a way to adjust it without removing it, at leat on mine, the copper spring is attached to a tab that has a nut holding it down. I guess over time the tab moved, or the spring weakened. I used tweezers to pull the tab making the spring tighter, then tighten the nut more, the needle returns slightly quicker to its resting place at 10 mph/// still think that is funny... but that is where the peg is. I will know if it improved tommorow. Also, still no clue as to what is causing the odo malfunction. almost every one of the main gears in mine is metal, except for the woorm coming out of the speedo drive thingy...
1980 two door dasher
kayakwesty
Cetane Booster

Post by kayakwesty »

There is a great write up on how to repair your odometer here

http://www.4130-products.com/step/odometer/index.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~mark.cumnock/id25.html

1991 1.6L Jetta 176,459 miles

1984 2.0 ABA Conversion Westfalia Vanagon 157,000 body 20,200 miles motor and transmission
One W/the truckers
Glow Plug

Post by One W/the truckers »

kayakwesty wrote:There is a great write up on how to repair your odometer here

http://www.4130-products.com/step/odometer/index.htm

kayakwesty, I think that should say GREATTTTTTTT write up. That site was awesome. I got as far as the the little nylon gear (to the left of the 135 in the picture) and that was in real good shape, so I went on farther and just like it said, the metal gear on the other end (to the right of the 759) is a press fit and that was where my problem was. I took out the gear and put a center punch in the hole and tapped it lightly to mushroom the id of the gear in and then flipped the gear and did the same thing on the other side. For the first time in 2.5 years, I finally put some miles on my car.
Bill
86 Golf 1.6D (non-turbo)
95 Dodge 3500 5.9L Cummins