no 5th gear; ideas?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

scottmartin49
Cetane Booster

no 5th gear; ideas?

Post by scottmartin49 »

What is the liklihood of a linkage problem vs.REAL trouble?

1. always felt a little sloppy going into 5th, while in, whined a bit at 35-50mph
2. sometimes popped out or didn't engage without an extra "nudge"
3. no engagement at all today, just a "spinning/buzzing" sound but not that real harsh grinding gear noise
4. linkage is ok visually while being shifted through all the gears, all the nuts and bolts look ok and no obviously excess play
5. All other gears and clutch ok

Just looking for the voice of experience before I jump on the repair!

Thanks, Scott

Oh yeah; it's a bitsa for sure, but mostly 1986 Golf diesel 5speed
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Sounds like your linkage is sloppy: minimally. You could have killed your 5th gear also. Usually, the linkage at the main relay shaft goes bad. There's a vertical shaft with a leve mounted to it. At the end of the lever, there should be a ball. Usually, the ball rots off and leaves just a pin. That's what will make it hard to find 5th.

Now, the noise at certain speeds sounds like your sloppy linkage led to ground synchros or gears. Either that, or your trans was low on fluid, which led to wear to your 5th gear.

I'd say, check the fluid level in the trans first. If it's really low, or the oil is black, then worry about a blown 5th gear.

Then, rebuild the linkage completely (i.e. don't just buy the bushing kit, get all the rods, and especially, the main relay lever: costs about $40-50 by itself). It may look fine, but unless you know what to look for, you'll miss that main relay shaft. Anyway, you'll want to rebuild the linkage anyway if you have to replace the trans.

If that doesn't solve your problem, then it's time for a new trans, or a new 5th gear set, assuming the main shaft is not worn out. You can just replace the 5th gear set, but you'll have to lower the trans down to acess the 5th gear housing.
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Check the linkage operation more closely. See below for some tips:
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ ... ngProblems

Basically have someone inside try to shift to 5th and you get under the hood and see what the linkage is doing. Sometimes 5th is hard to reach when the selector lever is not set up dead center in the shifting range of motion. It is always a tradeoff to reach R-1-2 and 5, they are at the opposite ends of motion.

And also, check your gear oil level, low oil = toasted 5th gear.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Yeap. 5th popping out is a classic sign of low fluid levels. Give them a check and report back your findings.
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
Brian Rages
Diesel Freak

Post by Brian Rages »

I vote for a toasted 5th gear. Sorry, I am not feeling optimistic today.

:(
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

i think this 1986 AGS trans had the fill hole mounted to low, so even when "full" its low- this would be your whine-I know I must fill mine ACG tranny in my 1985 GOlf with 2 quarts via the speedo cable hole!
Dont feel to bad, im batteling the same battle on my new project a Infinity G 20 here:
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php ... post987962
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
scottmartin49
Cetane Booster

Post by scottmartin49 »

Thanks for the help! It's fallen to the "end of the month pile" of jobs but I'll post back with the ugly truth.

Scott
kevin g
Diesel Freak

Post by kevin g »

How do you know hoe much oil to add to the tranny? I just eye ball it through the speedo cable hole. But don't know exactlly how much to add.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Here's a link to the proper fill locations, fluids etc:

http://www.brokevw.com/020oil.html
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Someone on here posted that it should be 1.8" below the edge the speedo cable sits on.... that's for the 5 speeds
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.