What kind of luck with re-ring?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Bormie
Cetane Booster

What kind of luck with re-ring?

Post by Bormie »

Hi. I'm new to this forum and to vw diesels. I recently purchased a 1982 Jetta diesel with a blown head gasket and 177k on a rebuilt engine. The last rebuild took it to 1mm oversize on the bores which means there is nothing left to machine. Measuring the cylinders I found them .0015"-.002" out of round and piston clearance to be about .0025"-.0045". The bores seem to take more of a beating on the thrust side. Has anyone had luck with re-ringing out of spec bores? What is the result? Piston slap and oil consumption? My only other alternative is to source another used block or engine. Thanks.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I see them selling sleeves on ebay.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Bormie
Cetane Booster

Post by Bormie »

Yes I have seen them too along with a list of service bulletins. Do you know anyone who has used one or four?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

ummm,... no, not yet.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Sleeving the motor is going to cost some good cabbage, probably about $100 a hole. So, keep that in mind too. If you keep your eyes open, you may be able to find a block, complete engine, or parts car with an engine for really cheap. If it were me, I'd probably try to pick up another complete engine, then you have spare parts, which I always seem to have around my place. Call your local machine shop and ask how much to sleeve your motor and proceed from there.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Re-Ringing a Diesel.

Post by hagar »

Has anyone had luck with re-ringing out of spec bores? What is the result?

Yes Old hagar has had good LUCK for more than 60 years.

READ READ and READ some more in the forums.

Gasser mind set will NOT work on DIESELS --read my lips.

hagar.
backwoods
Cetane Booster

Post by backwoods »

I am beginning to wonder if there are different sort of blocks out there, ones that wear more than others or something. I bought my MK1 diesel with 300K on the clock, barely ran and laid its own smoke screen. When I pulled the pistons the #2 had ring end gaps of 0.1" and the others were in the 0.06 - 0.07 range. I don't know how this thing ran at all LOL.
Anyway, when I mic'd the bores they came in at the smallest honing group size, and pistons were still in spec, though the grooves were getting toward the high end of acceptable. I could not get repeatable numbers for taper or roundness, the numbers I got were within spec but varied each time I did it. After I honed the cylinders I ended up simply putting the fresh standard compression ring into each bore high up and down low and measuring the end gap, and it was just above the minimum either way.
Put in the new standard rings & replaced all the crank journal & rod big end bearings, and been running it for a few thousand, runs great, starts quick and no visible smoke even cold. It does vibrate a fair bit when cold though.
Well if I had a point in mind when I started I forgot it, sorry :lol:
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Free turbo motor with head gasket blow and turbo set-up off in Calgary Alberta. It doesn't get any better in Canada eh.

http://www.clubveedub.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28062
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Bormie
Cetane Booster

Post by Bormie »

A guy at my work has an older 11mm block 1.6 he wants to get rid of. He thinks it dropped a valve. Maybe I will pick it up and see what is usable. Is there any way to machine the older block thread holes for the 12mm bolts?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Probably cheaper, better and easier to buy headstuds.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Bormie
Cetane Booster

Post by Bormie »

Are the head studs torqued and stretched using the same method as bolts?
Bormie
Cetane Booster

Post by Bormie »

Thanks for everyone's input. I did some searching and found torque values for a stud kit. I also found some of you who have done rings along with a new head gasket. I have not found to much specific information on oversize bore sizes. Seems some might not have the tools to measure. I've decided to give it a try with re-ringing and see how it goes. Does anyone know if replacement rings are cast iron or molly? I need to know what type of finish I need on bores. Thanks again!
Bormie
Cetane Booster

Post by Bormie »

I have over 3K miles on my re-ring rebuild now. I had trouble sourcing 1mm oversize rings and ended up with a set of Hastings I special ordered from Napa. These were the premium set with the ductile steel top ring.
Even though the piston/cylinder clearances were a little out of spec, the ring gaps were within spec and it burns very little oil. It was only down on the dipstick about 3/16in from the top at the 3k oil change.
I haven't checked the compression yet but it cold starts fine and is getting 42mpg around town and 45mpg on the hwy driving around 65-75mph.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Glad to hear you have it done and are tooling around in it.
I think 10,000 miles is sort of a mile stone for rerings,... if it makes it that far it should last awhile.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

How bad did NAPA "jab" you on the price of these rings?????
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.