replaced injectors loss of power!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

be158
Cetane Booster

replaced injectors loss of power!

Post by be158 »

I replaced injectors in my 1.6 NA with new ones and lost at least 10hp

starts up and runs just fine just doesnt have the pull

I really noticed this on a really steep hill which goes up for almost a mile.. prob 10 deg incline.

normally i can pull up it without a problem in 5th

normally i can pull up it in 5th with truck loaded to the ground with firewood by the top its running out of steam tho and if hill was any taller would have to drop to 4th.

now after replacing injectors it barely makes it up the hill empty (feels as if i have it loaded till rear suspension is bottomed out with wood) LOL

the pump is recently rebuilt pump.

The question is can u put in Turbo injectors in a NA 1.6? Or is it possible to have injectors re worked for more power?

now thinking about it the previous owners son told me it was the strongest 1.6NA they had ever seen and they had 4 of them and had bought this motor and droped it in the truck

Also a mechanic friend said after riding in my diesel it was faster than his 1.7 gasser at wot acceleration.

So what gives.. am i now back to what a vw diesel normally feels like.. or have i lost power.. I havent driven another one to know if this is normal or not!

Im replacing my speedo cable tomorrow so that i can see if i have increased MPG as that was the whole intent of replacing the injectors i was doing 85% highway at 60-65 mph and only getting 44mpg. also it would run WOT low 80s mph, now prob top out at low 70s

also WOT it used to have alittle more black smoke. now it has very very little smoke at all. almost as if its running leaner.. which it obviously is.
1981 vw truck (diesel)
1988 vw cabriolet 2.0 8v
1983 gti
1981 rabbit
coke

Post by coke »

Most likely cause is the old injectors were worn and popping sooner, which causes a quicker advance. You can advance the injection timing some to compensate.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Coke onto it there. Also, as far as improved MPG you might want to check out the thread on internal pressure adjustment.

Andrew
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Do you have any info on the old injectors,... I want some :D
or info on the new ones you put in?
If they are different breaking pressure it would change the timing.
Step on the peddle and have someone see if the throttle lever on the pump is moving all the way to it's max RPM stop.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
be158
Cetane Booster

Post by be158 »

throttle is hitting max WOT stop screw

i understand how the injectors opening sooner would affect timing, but when you time the pump you dont touch/take into account the injectorss so as long as its inside the window of normal injection timing i should be fine right? I have it set towards the middle of the scale
1981 vw truck (diesel)
1988 vw cabriolet 2.0 8v
1983 gti
1981 rabbit
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

be158 wrote:i understand how the injectors opening sooner would affect timing, but when you time the pump you dont touch/take into account the injectorss so as long as its inside the window of normal injection timing i should be fine right? I have it set towards the middle of the scale
If your old pop pressure is identical to the new pop pressure, there should not be any difference in timing with new injectors. If your new pop pressure is different than old, your timing setting will be different than it was before because the injector is firing sooner or later than before.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

i understand how the injectors opening sooner would affect timing, but when you time the pump you dont touch/take into account the injectorss so as long as its inside the window of normal injection timing i should be fine right?
Yes, you are just fine, your car goes down the road.
But you could be doing better than just fine.
Turn the pump so it is inside the window it will run, but it might be set run better.
Loosen the bolts/nut, turn the pump while it's running and listen. I set mine on the edge of clackity. Set yours so it sounds the way it did before.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.