very hard to start after sitting over night

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

58 special
Cetane Booster

very hard to start after sitting over night

Post by 58 special »

my 81 caddy has been my most reliable VW so far and its always been a fast starter andruns great until the other day...
me and my dad went on about a 400 mile round trip in it and all was well, until we got back home and the next mornig went to start it and it took about 2minutes worth of pure starting to make it run.
and it has gotten worse. the motor turns over and white diesel smoke comes out the tailpipe but she wont crank up.
i checked the shutoff vavle and it works right, but i guess the nest thing would be the glowplugs?

and when it finaly starts to hit. it only hits one one cylinder then maybe two... then another 10 seconds until it runs on all 4.
My cars VW's only

58 beetle, 70 bug
59 panel van, 74 bus
73 thing,
81 caddy 1.6NA biodiesel/WVO
99 TDI beetle
03 TDI jetta
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Likely the fuel in the injector pump has siphoned back to the tank. Do you have a clear fuel line from the filter to the IP and on the return line from the IP to the chassis? Search this forum for hard starting, overnight, things like that. Others have posted a fair amount on this subject. Search for them and start reading.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Brian Rages
Diesel Freak

Post by Brian Rages »

I'm guessing glow plugs. Expecially check the fusible link, since it seemed to dramatically shift from easy starting to very hard starting.

I had the exact same symptoms - long cranking, lots of white smoke. The fusible link had blown, so none of the plugs were getting juice. Fusible link should be on a lil box on the firewall.

I am not thinking fuel starvation, because I don't think you'd be getting the smoke with fuel starvation, and you would probably have driveability issues, but who knows?
inmytree
Diesel Freak

Post by inmytree »

Brian Rages wrote:I'm guessing glow plugs. Expecially check the fusible link, since it seemed to dramatically shift from easy starting to very hard starting.

I had the exact same symptoms - long cranking, lots of white smoke. The fusible link had blown, so none of the plugs were getting juice. Fusible link should be on a lil box on the firewall.

I am not thinking fuel starvation, because I don't think you'd be getting the smoke with fuel starvation, and you would probably have driveability issues, but who knows?
I agree with Brian...

I had the same cold start issues, and it turned out to be the glow plug relay had gone bad...
1990 Jetta GL Diesel
1991 Vanagon GL w/subaru 2.2
1989 Bronco
2008 Honda Fit Sport
rallydiesel
Cetane Booster

Post by rallydiesel »

I had similar problems and it was a tiny hole in the fuel supply line. You should still test for the plugs but I would also make sure all hose clamps are tight and there are no cracks in the fuel lines.
2006 Jetta TDI
1991 Jetta TD
58 special
Cetane Booster

Post by 58 special »

yea, i tested the glow plug wire ane it was hot with power, but i guess they could have gone bad all at once.
and i checked the clear fuel line and i watched the fuel flow into the pump... so i dont think it has a fuel leak problem...
and my glowplug light goes on and off like it always has.
so i guess the glowplug relay is ok.

ill order me some new plugs, i havent changed them since i had the truck, about a year. and see how it starts then.

the only thing i have done different is that i put a bottle of some kind of fuel treatment/cleaner and it really peped up the power and other things.
but thats all that i have changed here recently.
My cars VW's only

58 beetle, 70 bug
59 panel van, 74 bus
73 thing,
81 caddy 1.6NA biodiesel/WVO
99 TDI beetle
03 TDI jetta
crankpot
Cetane Booster

Post by crankpot »

I had the same exact symptom and it was glow plugs, in fact, the screw attaching the big red wire to the firewall fuse came loose and killed the glow plugs. A quarter turn with a screwdrive and it starts perfectly again.

RB
1981 Caddy diesel 119K with working r12 A/C!
Freshly rebuilt engine .020 over, rebuilt 4 speed recently converted to a FN 5 speed, new control arm, ball joints, steering rack, engine mounts, clutch, clutch cable,flywheel, all brakes, brake cylinders, wheels, tires, Audiovox cruise control, HID Headlights, LED instrument lights.

Bob Jupiter, FL