internal injection pump pressure

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

rallydiesel
Cetane Booster

Post by rallydiesel »

I think you screwed yourself when you drilled out the OUT banjo.
2006 Jetta TDI
1991 Jetta TD
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

rallydiesel wrote:I think you screwed yourself when you drilled out the OUT banjo.
It's a spare.

Now that I think of it, I think my pressure gauge is way out. I will return it and report my findings tomorrow.
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

From the tool link it looks like $60 for the tool to unscrew the pressure regulator,... and about $34 for the nice threaded adjuster.
So the easy one to make was expensive and I might have to think of ways to make an adjuster but $34 isn't too bad....
Maybe weld a washer to the bottom of my socket and a fine threaded nut to the top.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Or the even cheaper way... 10mm wrench when the pump is off. 11mm 12 point socket when its on. (not as good a fit) :)
Greenmachine
Diesel Freak

Post by Greenmachine »

Who needs the official tool. I'm officially endorsing the socket technique Andrew posted above, it works great! Took about 20 minutes of time and a 2$ socket. I was wondering if I'd ever get the plug out- it was seriously married to the pump.

As far as the spring goes, I didn't see the need to remove it to back the depressed part of the plug head out after an overly enthusiastic tap. The plunger is attached to a pin, so you can compress the spring to make internal pin to head contact by holding pressure on the assembly (right-side-up) by pushing the plug down by hand against a thin punch inserted in the bottom on a hard surface. When the spring is compressed just tap down on the head with a hammer, which will contact the rim only, and back out she comes!
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

rallydiesel wrote:I think you screwed yourself when you drilled out the OUT banjo.
If you mean in terms of changing the outflow by defeating the filtering screen I dunno....

The screen is a large cone (lots of surface area) and seems to be very free-flowing... so I don't know if removing it changes the restrictiveness of the Out banjo given how much restriction the out orifice offers in comparison.

Unless you use a pedestal or drill into the body of the pump you're pretty much stuck drilling thru the screen... or perhaps I'm missing another alternative ? It's happened before !!
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

I agree with you Vince. A screen wouldn't be meant to restrict flow. That why the tiny hole is there. The screen has many more little holes.

I got it going today. I'm at about 40psi. Anymore and I would get the infamous rocks in a jar sound. Too far advanced I guess. My timing is set to 0.

Picture time!

My setup.

The pressure regulator. Good pic eh?

Another.

Success!

Always make sure your lines are tight! Diesel everywhere! About 2000rpm when it happened.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Get a hose for a grease gun. It has 1/8" NPT crimped onto each end,... looks like you are all setup to screw it onto your gauge and pump.... one coupler on the gauge and your set.
That'll never pop off and they are under $3 for a 2ft piece.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

I noticed that since I have increased the internal pressure, the smell of the exhaust has changed. It now smells more burnt. Why is this? Or is it just me?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

If anyone want's a pedestal enough, there's an ebay pump w/ pedestal.

Andrew
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

Just to remind some folks.... here is my solution to the out bolt solution.

I drilled a small hole very carefully not to skip the cutting edge of the bit and thereby avoiding the great risk of small pieces blocking the orifice. I cleaned the inside by many bursts of water (from the screen side) while keeping the filter screen intact. When welding, I kept the bolt cool with water so the screen would not melt.

The last thing is that it doesn't matter if you are a good welder because the seal is an O-ring in the bottom of the attached nut and it seals between the top surface of the out bolt and the bottom of your fitting.

Oh... and obviously you should weld before drilling the bolt out.

Be sure check for good flow at the orifice while you are cleaning it out....

I have a proper gauge for it now... seems too work fine.

Still I prefer Andrew's invention to solve this problem... it is much cleaner but that what I have so I will use it for now.

Last edited by stopping on Mon May 05, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

I filled up today. 44mpg imp.

So no change in fuel mileage at all and no change in driving habits. Tires are solid at 40psi.

Why wouldn't I see even a slight increase?

I have also noticed that the engine runs differently now too. The exhaust smells more burnt and I get light wisps of smoke at certain throttle positions that I never used to get.

Could I have advanced the timing too much?
be158
Cetane Booster

Post by be158 »

Op-Ivy wrote:I filled up today. 44mpg imp.

So no change in fuel mileage at all and no change in driving habits. Tires are solid at 40psi.

Why wouldn't I see even a slight increase?

I have also noticed that the engine runs differently now too. The exhaust smells more burnt and I get light wisps of smoke at certain throttle positions that I never used to get.

Could I have advanced the timing too much?
I noticed the same thing.. ive replaced injectors, and bumped up pressure.. (both of which would advance the fuel spraying in... and i can tell by sound of motor that its advanced WAY to much , also get a slight puff of gray smoke a certain throttle positions.

At this point im going to try adjusting timing to the extreme top and bottom of the timing scale to see which one makes it run smoother.
1981 vw truck (diesel)
1988 vw cabriolet 2.0 8v
1983 gti
1981 rabbit
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yep, I do think after the pressure is adjusted it's time to drive and tune for awhile.
Adjusting the static timing until you get the best fuel mileage.
Maybe this year we will conquer measuring the voltage created by the glowplugs when they are heated to determine the optimal combustion temp,... but that's another thread.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Fatmobile wrote: Maybe this year we will conquer measuring the voltage created by the glowplugs when they are heated to determine the optimal combustion temp,... but that's another thread.
oh goodie !!

Ya know, measuring is easy... if you've pimped your glowplugs so that you have access to each one individually, by popping a fuse ! :wink:
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs