Vanagon transmission gearing

Moderator: Fatmobile

dr. no
Glow Plug

Vanagon transmission gearing

Post by dr. no »

Just been driving around in my "new" '82 1.6na (with the incredible sunroof). We just got to about 150 miles this week, 140k on the odometer, when suddenly there is no way to shift out of 4th. THAT was fun drive home. Now, I know the Vanagon is an underpowered vehicle with the 1.6na, but the stock gearing is just ridiculous. Given that I'm looking at a rebuild for the famous 3-4 slider, would anyone suggest a different gearing, more like the WBX ratios? I have a DK to mate with a 1.6td for a different bus, but understnd this is probably too much for the NA.
Thanks,
Scott
dr. no
Glow Plug

Post by dr. no »

Do I just ask the wrong questions?
Everyone here runs stock trannys?
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

If your question is whether or not to use the ratio's you have... assuming you are going to keep the 1.6n/a then the best ratio's would be to keep the original transmission.
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

You can put in a gas tranny in with a taller 4th but with a NA diesel you won't be able to pull those taller gears. If you think it's slow now, wait till you put in those taller gears. For now you can either have to put on taller tires , and then turbo charge the motor or go onto VWdiesel.net and look for Giles super pumps and then you'll be able to shove in that tranny with the taller gearing.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na