1.6 turbo diesel smoke?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

zupko5.9
Glow Plug

1.6 turbo diesel smoke?

Post by zupko5.9 »

i recently bought an 87 suzuki samuari with a 1.6 vw TD. it smokes a little bit out of the breather tube on the valve cover. does wnyone have any suggestions of how to fix this? it is not constant but it bothers me. i have not done a compression test but have no trouble starting it so i think the compression is fine. thanks for any help
coke

Post by coke »

I thought it was mentioned that smoke out the breather tube was blow-by.
zupko5.9
Glow Plug

Post by zupko5.9 »

so do you suggest rings? or is there any thing else i can try first?
coke

Post by coke »

Do a compression test and leakdown test. This will confirm the health of the engine.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Isn't the breather tube on the valve cover routed to the intake manifold? That's where it's supposed to be routed to recover all (unless there's severe blow by) crankcase gasses. There's also a port on the front of the block to the left of the vacuum pump that on later model vehicles had a "T" connection to the intake and valve cover (if it also used the rotary style vacuum pump).
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
zupko5.9
Glow Plug

Post by zupko5.9 »

would you happen to have any pics of this it would really help. im new to this motor i just bought the samuari a few weeks ago. the old owner just had a long breather tube that ran under the body. there is no oil coming from it just a little smoke. the only reason it bothers me is when 4 wheeling and slow driving since it right under the cab the fumes get annoying. thanks