Which turbo?

Moderator: Fatmobile

jolotter
Diesel Freak

Which turbo?

Post by jolotter »

I have read many posts on this and other sites stating that the K24 turbo has to much spool up time for a vanagon and that I will not get any boost on hills as I shift gears.
Many of you have recommended using a smaller K14 or T3 turbo instead. I don't have one of those.
What I do have is a K3. It's quite a bit smaller than the K24 but I do not know if it would fit the bill.

I'm almost ready to fire up my vanagon as a diesel for the first time!

Johann
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
93 1.9TD engine in the shed
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The T3 and K24 are virtually the same size (and laggy). Is the K03 from an AAZ? If so, then it would work great.

Andrew
jolotter
Diesel Freak

Post by jolotter »

Yes. The K03 is from an AAZ. Does the smaller turbo work better at low rpms because there is less mass to get spinning? So the tradeoff would be less boost at highway speed.

At highway speed, does the size of the turbo affect fuel efficiency?

Johann
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

At higher rpms the smaller turbos cannot produce as much boost as a larger turbo and when running increased boost pressures, they are less efficient and cannot produce as much boost. That being said, any of the above turbos will produce considerably more than stock boost pressures before running significantly inefficiently. The K14 will fairly easily run 15-18 psi without being overly inefficient. The other downside is that a smaller turbo can increase EGTs some when running higher boost levels. All that being said, the T-3 and K24 are just plain toooo big for a 1.6TD running stock boost pressures. Unless one is running considerably higher pressure than stock, the only thing gained from the K24 or T-3 is increased lag. I'm not quite sure what VW was thinking when they fit them. Perhaps better options were not available.

Andrew
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Sooo, the question is are you sticking with stock boost pressures of 9-11psi? If so, then the K03 will produce max boost all the way through the entire upper rpm range and will do so efficiently.

Andrew
jolotter
Diesel Freak

Post by jolotter »

Although I may increase boost as I get to know the engine, I am not looking to create a hot rod :lol: from my westy laden with wife, kids, dog and cast iron cookware.
I also don't want to risk blowing my head gasket. I'm interested in reliability and efficiency rather than performance.

Thanks for the advice.
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD