How long before California diesel rabbit is dead.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

surfcam
Turbo Charger

How long before California diesel rabbit is dead.

Post by surfcam »

California ARB Revises Proposed Rule To Clean Up In-Use On-Road Diesel Trucks, Buses

The California Air Resources Board has revised a draft regulation that will require retrofits and engine replacements for the estimated privately owned 300,000 diesel trucks and buses on California roadways beginning in 2012. The proposed regulation now calls for truckers to retrofit pre-2007 model year trucks with soot filters and then requires a gradual modernization of trucks beginning in 2012, so that ultimately all trucks are the cleanest, 2010 or newer models.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Looks to me that if this starts to take effect, there's going to be a lot more realestate for sale out west................................
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

My friend lives in LA with a oregon plated chipped dodge that smokes like a forest fire- its people like this who paint a bad picture for diesels, I am trying to get him to keep it on the stock settings while in LA and cali...
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

82vdub wrote:Looks to me that if this starts to take effect, there's going to be a lot more realestate for sale out west................................

Not to mention lots and lots of good,
solid, rustfree VWs for the rest of us :D
Blue 1986 Golf N/A Bought it in '94. Never been on the road since.
Green 1991 Jetta TD. Bought it 6 months ago.
Hasn't been on the road since.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

duffer wrote:Not to mention lots and lots of good, solid, rustfree VWs for the rest of us
That was actually the first thought that came to my mind.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

but people dont think like that, they will drive them to the u-pull it yard or sell them for scrap as metal is $100.00 a ton.
When I bought my golf for $42.00 at a yard sale the previous owner had already called a scrapper and he was going to arive the very next day!
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
Luckypabst
Glow Plug

Post by Luckypabst »

The wording seems to apply to heavy-duty, commercial sized vehicles. Those tend to fall under different standards - I'd be willing to bet that CA won't apply this to passenger vehicles, otherwise they would have already made catalytic converters a required retrofit all the way back to the Model T era. I can't think of any pollution or safety advances that become retroactive on personal vehicles...

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Like Chris said, dealing with private and business vehicles are two different things. Also, I looked up the 2007 emissions standards for heavy duty trucks, and per hphr, they were roughly equivalent to what automakers had to deal with in the late 70s/early 80s, so CA diesel Rabbits are not only fairly rare, but nearly as clean as the modern trucks are supposed to be.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I fully realized the regulations only applied to heavy commercial trucks when I started the thread. I was just wondering if the Californian's though it might start a domino effect into passager cars. Believe it or not California effects what is sold in Canada. If a auto manufacture can't sell a car in California. They won't bother with the rest of North America a lot of the time. There also is a lot of states that have adopted the CARB reg's as well. Sounds like their will be a lot of used trucks heading North and East.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

It hasn't in the past and I don't see why it would start now.
Jhastings
Cetane Booster

Post by Jhastings »

Being a Cali resident, I have heard of the concern as well, but it is to my beliefe that it won't effect us or it might be one of those things that goes overlooked. This is similar to the rule that my Dodge and Stocktrailer are too long to go down the road wihout CA numbers on the door of my pickup. I haven't had any problems and have been hauling horses and cattle for years now.

However, I do know that my friends who own a rockpit have to retrofit their big diesels on their rock crushers. This was demanded by a clean air agency, but at the same time they pick and choose their battles and some neighbooring rock pits won't be effected.

Nonetheless, I to beleive that people are only compounding the problem by rolling smoke and blacking out lanes. I know how much fun it is to do and I used to have this problem with my 12v cummins so I cleaned it up with more air. More power, cooler temps, and almost no more smoke. :D
81' Caddy 1.6NA 4-speed, 11mm block(drilled and tapped with 12mm head, .040 over, and ARP studs.