Removing the Engine

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

chrischris
Diesel Freak

Removing the Engine

Post by chrischris »

I am about to pull my engine to replace the block. Any tips? I have a hoist, so should I just follow the Bentley? It looks like it is best to take the transmission out with it. Is that the best way to do it?
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Yes. Easiest way is to take the tranny out with it. It will come out best at an angle. Someone with more experience will chime in I'm sure.
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
woodrat
Diesel Freak

Post by woodrat »

With the mk 1 rabbits and jettas, we used to pull the engines with the tranny on a floor jack through the bottom of the car, but that does require being able to jack the car up pretty high. At that shop we had a big hoist so it was easy. The 85 and up cars have that crossmember in there so I would pull the motor through the top with an engine hoist.
'92 Dodge W250 Cummins Turbo Diesel
'90 Subaru Legacy AWD wagon
'89 Jetta diesel
'88 Jetta Carat gasser
http://blog.redalderranch.com
Ziptar
Cetane Booster

Post by Ziptar »

Just do as Bentley says, keep the tranny pointed down at an angle and everything will lift right out.

When I was removing the gasser to swap the TD in the Carat I used the jack up the car and drop the engine with a floor jack method. It worked but, I had stripped it pretty much down to a bare long block first.

I used a hoist to remove the engine from the donor and install it. having done both I'd say using a hoist out through the top is much easier.

MkII Jetta Carat Turbo Diesel 220,000 miles
Fully Baptized Zealot in the Church of Compression Ignition :D
My Heatware 30, 0, 0
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Engine removal--Rabbit's

Post by hagar »

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:58 pm Post subject: Old guy Old Rabbit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is a Rabbit so important ? -----No special tools needed for those Springs on exhaust --just your hands. No special tools needed for doing springs on rear brakes ---- NO spring compressor needed --to do coils front and rear ----.
Parts from gasser and Diesel interchangeable ---? yes a LOT.

So easy and FUN to do ----say I----hagar. ----eyah I did it.

NO engine hoist needed --just lower engine --and roll body back on rear wheels. ---simple and easy.

More later.

hagar.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

you can try it both ways if you want. Last fall, I was going to pull my engine from the top, but ended up dropping it to the floor. On reinstall, I put it in from the top. You'll need to get the clutch linkage out of the way to go down and same with the exhaust if you leave the manifold on (which I did). If you go out the top, you're likely to have to remove the intake manifold (I think this is a must) and you may have shifter linkage issues (if it's left on the trans) with it hitting the brake master cylinder. Go for it, you'll figure out what way works best for you when you do it.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

Removal through the top is even easier with the head off. Have the belt end of the engine up about 15 -20 degrees (something like that). Watch your brake lines there behind the engine. Work in a sort of: up a little....forward a little....up a little....forward a little sort of fashion.

Installation is also easier with the head off. It simply allows better view of the progress visually and allows much easier access to the motor mount bolts. When I say this, I am making reference to the Mk II's. Funny thing....my Mk I's never seemed to break down and need this kind of work. Ahh....those original all German engines!!!!!
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Out the bottom.

Post by hagar »

chrischris do it the hagar way ------ without Rad and Battery ---the front end is so light -----simply lift it and roll the car bacck on rear wheel's.

Complete Unit ----- drive unit is simple to work on.------a two by four and a piece of rope will do it.------WARNING ---remove clutch push-rod before unbolting Tranny.

hagar.
chrischris
Diesel Freak

Post by chrischris »

Alright, we got the engine out. We used the hoist to lower it to the ground and then used the hoist again to grab the front bumper mounts to lift the pickup enough to pull the engine out from underneath.

Hagar, I did not see your warning in time and didn't remove the pushrod from the transmission. This transmission is quite foreign to me, more so to my father who was awed at how different it was setup than what he was used to.

A few of the flywheel teeth were partially worn down. I wonder if I should replace the clutch since I have it nearly apart.
Greenmachine
Diesel Freak

Post by Greenmachine »

Roger that on the clutch amigo.
------------------------------------------------------
1970 1776 Double Cab
1980 2.0 Aircooled Vanagon "Riviesty"
1981 1.6 N/A Caddy
------------------------------------------------------